A dear friend passes on

Neha Ceremony

A dear friend passes on

More than 200 students, faculty and family members gathered Wednesday at Lathrop Hall to share memories of Neha Suri, the UW-Madison senior who passed away Tuesday.

Neha, 22, had been at UW Hospital in critical condition since last week with bacterial meningitis, a rare but sometimes fatal disease. After being taken to the hospital Jan. 25, doctors placed Neha in an induced coma to aid in the healing process. Despite the doctors' best efforts, Neha's condition worsened.

Many of Neha's closest friends contributed to the ceremony through songs and specially written music or by recounting their favorite stories of the Singapore native.

""She approached life with unparalleled enthusiasm and curiosity. Her vibrant energy and whimsical nature made her an explorer, seeking out new experiences, places and friends,"" UW-Madison student Dave Abbott said.

Others spoke about Neha's commitment to her friends and family.

""We've all had enough heart-to hearts with Neha … to appreciate her courage in confronting the tangles of philosophy, religion and spirituality. Most memorable for me, however, are those wide brown eyes that looked upon life's mystery with such amazement. Neha floated on the kinds of questions that suffocate greater souls,"" UW-Madison student Bryan Fate said.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam opened the service, calling the emotionally charged ceremony a celebration of Neha's spirit and all the lives she touched.

Berquam said she visited the hospital Monday, where Neha's family and a large group of friends—who had visited Neha every day since the abrupt hospitalization—seemed bonded by a shared compassion.

""It was something that I haven't seen before, and it really goes to the warmth and the strength and compassion of the students to the family, and the family returning it to the students,"" she said. ""I want to thank Neha's family for lending her to us for a short time so she could walk up the sidewalks of Bascom Hill, go to her classes and enrich all of our lives.""

Chancellor Biddy Martin also offered condolences to Neha's family.

""What I've learned about Neha Suri in the past few days makes me wish I had known her. It makes me proud that she was a student at UW-Madison … She was a person who clearly valued family and who clearly valued friendship,"" she said.

Many faculty members also spoke warmly about Neha, who had double-majored in journalism and political science.

""She was a truly bright and talented student, but what stands out most to me was seeing her and her bright shining face and her enthusiasm that was such a delight to teach,"" journalism professor Doug McLeod said.

Gary Sandefur, dean of the College of Letters and Science, also presented Neha's mother with Neha's posthumous degree.

According to Berquam, many friends were still lingering an hour after the ceremony had ended.

""She was so incredible I couldn't wait to see where she would end up,"" UW-Madison student Laura DeWitt said during the service. ""I try to find peace in my belief that she's in the very best place that she could possibly be now. I already feel her spirit everywhere, and I think it would be impossible for Neha to enter someone's life and not leave a mark … I love you, Neha; you will not be forgotten, and as they say in German, ‘bis dahin,' which isn't ‘goodbye,' it just means ‘till then.'""