Towers Residence Hall to convert to apartments

There are many housing options in Madison, but finding affordable options can be difficult. 

The Towers Residence Hall on State Street began its last semester as a private dorm this week, and will instead serve as an apartment building available for rent as early as next fall.

According to Alyssa Heikkinen, leasing director at the Towers, the building's new management company, Best Management Onward Campus, made a decision in early November to convert the Towers into an apartment building.

""Since the building has been here for so long, we are hoping to make sure that people understand that it is not a private residence hall anymore, it will be just regular apartments for anyone and everyone,"" she said.

Heikkinen said BMOC began renovations within the building shortly after the decision was made, beginning with the removal of the dining hall cafeteria.

She added that they currently have model apartments available for show and are renting for next year.

According to the Towers website, apartments are available for rent on an individual basis, and renters can pay for a room rather than a share of the full apartment rent.

Heikkinen said the Towers are still part of the UW-Madison private housing connection, and Statesider, located next to the Towers, will remain a private residence hall.

Heikkinen said she hopes the transformation into an apartment building will provide more living opportunities for UW-Madison students who choose to live off campus.

""We're pretty much one of the largest buildings on State Street, so it is a good way to give those upperclassmen another option for housing,"" she said.

For more information visit theuwtowers.com.