Panel addresses sex education

Dems sex panel: State Representatives Donna Seidel and Christine Sinicki advocated comprehensive sex education at a discussion Wednesday.

Panel addresses sex education

State Representatives Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, and Christine Sinicki, D-Milwaukee, discussed women's sexual health Wednesday at a discussion held by the College Democrats.

The representatives discussed two successful provisions, including contraceptive equity, which mandates insurance companies that cover prescriptions to cover all types of prescriptions, including contraceptives.

The second provision, prescription protection, ensures all pharmacies must be able to fill any prescription presented.

""It cannot be excluded based on a pharmacist's personal beliefs,"" Seidel said. ""In other words, a woman going to a pharmacy at any spot in Wisconsin cannot be denied a filling of a birth control prescription, which had been happening.""

Seidel and Sinicki also discussed the ""Healthy Youth Act,"" which was also passed out of the Assembly. The act prevents abstinence-only education.

""If public schools in the state of Wisconsin choose to teach human sexuality and development courses, they must be age appropriate and medically accurate,"" Seidel said.

The bill, which has yet to pass in the Senate, has received significant opposition.

""Even some of our own colleagues were saying, ‘You guys simply can't do this,'"" Seidel said.

Both representatives said they believe schools must provide young people with information to protect themselves, as teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections are on the rise in Wisconsin.

""You can't stick your head in the ground and pretend it's not happening,"" Sinicki said.

The panel also discussed a wider variety of issues, including HPV vaccines, general health care and how to lobby effectively.

""Tonight was a discussion with advocates of sex education and sexual awareness,"" Molly Rivera, chair of College Democrats, said. ""It was a way for us to connect with our state representatives and have a better idea of what's going on [in the Legislature].""