Campus vending locations questioned

Vending Oversight Committee: The Vending Oversight Committee discussed the safety of food carts outside the Kohl Center at a meeting Wednesday.

Campus vending locations questioned

The Vending Oversight Committee gave initial approval to a new vending area that would prohibit vending in certain downtown areas at Wednesday's meeting.

Vending would be prohibited from University Avenue to Regent Street, and from North Randall Avenue to West Washington Avenue all the way to Henry Street, except for eight specific locations.

Safety issues were a major concern as a new vending spot directly outside of the Kohl Center was considered.

Special Assistant to the Chancellor Dawn Crim argued that adding a new vending spot outside the Kohl Center would be dangerous to both pedestrians and drivers.

""From an outdoor aesthetic and safety standpoint, we are concerned that that location is not one that serves the building well, nor the traffic of the building well,"" she said.

According to Crim, the Kohl Center already deals with its share of pedestrian and vehicle congestion. Crim also said she fears vendors will tarnish the exterior appearance of the Kohl Center, especially since the university has been trying to unify the campus with matching benches, lights and bus shelters.

According to committee member Rosemary Lee, this new vendor spot would be beneficial. Lee strongly disagreed with the university deciding where vendors can and cannot sell their products.

""We have to protect our small business people,"" she said.

Committee Chair Warren Hansen said vendors often lose interest outside the Kohl Center because they cannot find a consistent customer base.

""My original intent was that vending times would not compete with Kohl Center games or events,"" he said.

Crim agreed to limit the position of a new vendor by limiting the time of day in which they could vend, in addition to moving the location of the vender to be closer to the Southeast Recreational Facility rather than the Kohl Center.

""From our standpoint, moving the location makes sense, and I think it works better. It makes sense closer to the SERF,"" Crim said.

Lee opposed the idea of limiting the time during which the vendors would be allowed to sell their products, saying it would be detrimental to their business.

""I think that these vendors should be allowed to be there until 8:30 [p.m.] if they choose,"" she said. ""I don't think it's fair to restrain their business trade in favor of what's for sale in the Kohl Center.""

Vendors will be able to operate from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.