UW-Madison awarded $9.5 million for influenza research

UW-Madison was awarded $9.5 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for influenza virus research, it was announced Thursday.

Yoshihiro Kawaoka, UW-Madison professor of virology, is leading the team of international researchers charged with identifying viral mutations. The team hopes to prevent future pandemics by using the information to create an early notification system.

""Early intervention is critical to the control of influenza virus outbreaks,"" Kawaoka said in a statement.

The study will focus mainly on avian influenza viruses. Although it is unlikely humans will be affected, one mutation may allow the virus to bond to receptors in human cells. This is when a pandemic usually occurs, the statement said.

""The improved ability to predict whether a virus has pandemic potential would be an invaluable asset to the global community,"" Kawaoka said in the statement. ""Millions of lives might be saved if intervention methods—such as social distancing … vaccine development and production—could be implemented early.""

UW-Madison University Health Services is also taking the prevention path as they prepare for an uptick in H1N1 cases after Thanksgiving and winter breaks, UHS Executive Director Sarah Van Orman said.

Van Orman said UHS will be ready for the next round of outbreaks. UHS plans to offer H1N1 vaccines on a large scale during the first two weeks of December.

According to Van Orman, no flu cases reported have been seasonal flu.