Sweet and savory, just the way you like it

Madison offers a bevy of prime brunch locales, from greasy-spoon diners to trendy creperies. Some of us have trouble getting out of bed early in the morning, so brunch can be the perfect mid-day meal to get us through our day. Put down your bowl of Cheerios and take advantage of trying the best omelets or waffles in town. Warning: Your bowl of oatmeal might start to look a little sad after venturing out to one of these tasty spots.

Monty's Blue Plate Diner

If you're in the mood to travel a little far away from campus, you won't be disappointed when you enter Monty's Blue Plate Diner. A retro interior and friendly staff make this the perfect place for brunch. And the food isn't too bad either. Some favorites were the mushroom and pesto omelet with asiago cheese and the smoked salmon hash, which sounds a little different but was very delicious.

There's burgers, salads and sandwiches for those not in the breakfast mood, too. Monty's offers amazing vegetarian options that feature tempeh and tofu, so there's something for everyone. The amazing display case full of freshly baked pastries is so enticing you may want to take something for the road. Try the apple turnover or pecan roll. 

Sunroom Café

Sunroom Café on State Street is no secret around campus, and that's no surprise. Its reliably good food makes brunch easy. The pancakes, available with blueberries, bananas, apple or chocolate chips, are the best cure for even the worst hangover. The homemade soups offer a hearty addition to whatever brunch item you choose. Some other highlights are the spicy tofu scrambler with Sunroom's perfect peanut sauce, the huge breakfast burrito and the tuna avocado plate.

While waiting in the perpetually long line, try one of Sunroom's muffins or scones, which come in a variety of flavors that change every day. Instead of the sometimes watery smoothies, opt for the tea or Alterra coffee. Don't forget your punch card—10 meals and you get one free. ??

Marigold Kitchen

For brunch in the Capitol area, try Marigold Kitchen, located on South Pinckney Street, whose brunch menu is now offered on Sundays in addition to Saturdays. Marigold takes the standard brunch dishes and adds some major flair, featuring duck confit hash, chile poached eggs with prosciutto and manchego cheese and a variety of vegetable filled omelets. One frustrating thing is that you can't create your own omelet, so if you're picky, you may want to order something else.

All egg dishes come with perfectly seasoned breakfast potatoes and your choice of toast. Try the crimini mushroom and brie omelet or the french toast brioche with berry puree. Price-wise, Marigold's is on the slightly more expensive side, so maybe save this one for a special occassion.

Bluephies

Bluephies' brunch mirrors its dinner menu in its unconventional and eclectic options. If you're in the mood for dessert for breakfast, the bananas foster french toast is a must-try. It's no wonder a place famous for its cookie dough egg rolls could produce such a decadent and satisfying dish.

If you're in the mood for something on the lighter side, you have to try one of the scramblers. Some favorites are the Popeye and the Veggie Deluxe, which has portobello mushrooms, green onions and tomatoes. Don't forget to order one of the four variations of Bluephies' Bloody Mary, their signature brunch beverage.

Mickies Dairy Bar

Mickies looks like a tiny hole-in-the-wall off Regent Street, but once you see the pancakes, you'll realize nothing about this place is small. Well, almost nothing. The prices are incredibly low for the amount of food you get. An order of two pancakes comes to about $5, depending on the variety, and you'll probably want to order just one, because these things are gigantic.

Mickies also offers great shakes, fries and a number of standard diner lunch items, from burgers to tuna melts. The food is good, the atmosphere is casual and everything is so cheap there's no way you can leave hungry.

Orpheum

The Orpheum Theatre offers an upscale option for brunch-goers who want to dine in style. The entranceway to the theater is a beautiful place to eat and a convenient stop on State Street. The brunch buffet costs $16 and is only offered on Sundays. If you have parents paying or are starving, this would be a great deal.

However, there aren't many choices, and it definitely isn't worth the price for a poor college student. Try the larger breakfast menu on Saturday instead, which is much more reasonably priced. While the food isn't as outstanding as the place it's served in, the ingredients are fresh, and the menu items are innovative.

Bradbury's

There is a definite difference between brunch and breakfast, and Bradbury's falls on the breakfast side of the spectrum. Its menu consists of every variety of crepes, from the sweet variety like simple cinnamon and sugar to savory crepes like herb-roasted chicken, apples and brie.

This small, niche restaurant also produces drinks with huge flavors. Many of its espresso drinks are beautifully marked with milk from Blue Marble Dairy, a local dairy farm. Enjoy a brew or pour over organic and fair-trade coffee. Or indulge in their warm, tangy apple cider.

The menu changes constantly, so you can't always get your favorite, but all ingredients are organic and local. For the quality of ingredients, the price is very reasonable. The portions aren't quite big enough, so they're really only filling enough for breakfast. You might have to scramble for seating, but if you're in need of a light bite, Bradbury's could be just what you're looking for.