Landmarks Commission approves church apartments

The city of Madison's Landmarks Commission supported, with conditions, a proposal to build a five-story apartment building on the parking lot of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church and School Monday night.

The proposed 45-foot structure would replace approximately 41 parking stalls and, in exchange, offer 46 apartments to low-income parishioners and community members. 

Holy Redeemer parking would be moved to a city parking ramp, located across Johnson Street.

Tom Sather of Silverstone Partners Inc., the developer on the project, said the Diocese of Madison supports the proposed building plan.

""We want to maximize efforts in terms of providing good, affordable workforce housing,"" Sather said.

Those who oppose the building project said they are skeptical of these motives, citing inconsistencies throughout the proposal process and questioning whether there is sufficient interest to fully utilize the proposed apartment space, which would be unavailable to students.

Gail Geib asked the commission not to neglect the importance of maintaining an open, downtown area for parishioners, community members and UW-Madison students to gather and socialize.

""The area is a free space for students to just relax, and enjoy some space,"" agreed Victor Kelly, a fellow Holy Redeemer parishioner. ""This is damaging to the students; there is no sense of generosity here.""

Landmarks Commission members agreed to support the plan if the gross volume was reduced, sensitivity was shown to smaller buildings on Gorham Street, lot lines were divided before construction and air space was increased between the new and existing buildings.

The proposal must return to the Landmarks Commission for final approval.