Letter to the Editor: Summit smear improper

As a 2008 alumnus of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and as a former College Programs Coordinator for Americans for Prosperity-Wisconsin, I am writing in response to Jamie Stark's October 7th column: Rejection of Chicago unjustified.

As a member of the Wisconsin delegation that attended the Defending the American Dream Summit last weekend in Arlington, Virginia, Stark's reference to call Americans for Prosperity a ""lazybones conservative organization"" over how some people reacted over Chicago not winning is not true. Stark's reference is an insult to the over 45,000 members of Americans for Prosperity in Wisconsin and over 700,000 members across the nation including members at UW-Madison.

Also, Stark's column lacked clarity and focus about arguing what caused Chicago to lose the bid. The reference to John Boehner saying ""torched American morale"" is nonsense. The real reasons why Chicago lost the bid were reported infighting between the United States Olympic Committee and the Chicago Organizing Committee along with their bid message lacking discipline and focus. I would love to see the Olympics come to the Midwest, but not at the expense of rewarding corrupt politicians and burdening taxpayers who are burdened enough.

The Daily Cardinal should focus on the real reasons in its columns how the news happens in a objective manner instead of using smear words just because of their political ideology or differing opinion on the 2016 Olympics.

Kyle Maichle

UW-Madison Class of 2008

School of Human Ecology