Gore to speak at conference in Madison

Former Vice President Al Gore will deliver the keynote address Oct. 9 at the Society of Environmental Journalists conference at the Concourse Hotel in Madison.

The SEJ's 19th annual conference, hosted by UW-Madison, will take place October 7-11 and include informational workshops for participants as well as other environmentally oriented activities.

The mission of the organization is to ""improve quality, accuracy and visibility of environmental reporting,"" according to Jay Letto, SEJ's conference director.

This year's conference will focus on freshwater and agricultural issues.

Gore, who is well known for his environmental activism, will speak about the scientific community's claims and concerns, as well as ""what's at stake"" at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen this December.

The gathering of climate scientists and world leaders in Copenhagen is expected to be the most important climate change conference since the signing of the Kyoto Protocol.

The SEJ conference will mark the first time in a number of years that Gore will answer questions from the press.

People who are not SEJ members can attend the conference for $450 per day.