Men’s Team of the Year: \r \r Basketball

Men's Team of the Year: \r \r Basketball:

The Wisconsin men's basketball team did not enter its season with particularly high expectations, but under the direction of head coach Bo Ryan, the team proved it was a major threat to teams across the nation. Despite a slow start and the possibility of missing the NCAA Tournament, men's basketball finished strong with solid victories to qualify for postseason play. And men's basketball highlighted its season in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, beating No. 5 seeded Florida State, a team which was only a week removed from winning against eventual National Champion North Carolina. 

The Badgers' respectable season began with a bang. After beginning the year 5-1 the Badgers traveled to Blacksburg, Va., to face Virginia Tech in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. In the hostile environment, the Badgers played the Hokies tough, and eventually captured the marquee victory on a buzzer beating runner by junior guard Trévon Hughes. 

Wisconsin did hit the skids early in Big Ten play with a six-game losing streak. But when they needed to make the push for the NCAA Tournament, the Badgers won seven of their final nine Big Ten contests, including impressive wins against Ohio State and Illinois. 

Despite exiting from the NCAA Tournament in the second round after a loss to Xavier, Wisconsin's late season run to the NCAA Tournament and thrilling victories over Virginia Tech and Florida State this season will allow players and fans to remember Wisconsin's 2008-'09 men's basketball team fondly. 

Honorable Mention: UW Men's Rowing