Respect local elections

By Claire Rydell 

College Democrats 

The University of Wisconsin–Madison is quite a unique place. Not only do we pride ourselves on our strong academics, our fantastic marching band and top-notch athletics, our student body is heavily involved in the political and campus community.  

The Madison tradition of student political engagement and participation has an extensive history. For students who have studied local history, the name Paul Soglin might ring a bell. As a student at UW-Madison in the late 1960s and early 1970s, Soglin served three terms on the Madison Common Council before becoming Mayor in 1973. Eli Judge, a UW-Madison senior and the current council member for District 8, is another noteworthy example of a student engaging in the community. As the spring election draws near, we should remember how important becoming—and staying—involved in our community is.  

Although electing a Madison Common Council member or a state superintendent of public schools on April 7 might not seem as exciting as electing a president, it is just as important. Before you decide to sit this election out—hey, you already voted in November, right?—take a minute and see what's really in your best interest. 

Next Tuesday we have the opportunity to show the city of Madison the relevance of issues such as campus and downtown safety, the environment and tenants' rights. By electing City Council members who present innovative ways to make our community safer, our lakes cleaner and our landlords more accountable, we are communicating our values, our commitments and our seriousness to local leaders.  

The College Democrats of Madison have endorsed the following candidates for city council: Bryon Eagon for District 8, Bridget Maniaci for District 2 and Hamilton Arendsen for District 5. We made our endorsements after hearing their thorough and articulate solutions to the issues facing UW-Madison students and the city as a whole. 

However, issues affecting the student body extend well beyond the confines of these three city districts. Thus, in addition to city council endorsements, the College Democrats also support the re-election of Shirley Abrahamson to the state Supreme Court, the re-election of Kathleen Falk to Dane County Executive, Tony Evers for state superintendent of public schools and Arlene Silveira for Madison School Board president. These four individuals will approach their elected positions with progressive and realistic goals. If quality and affordable education or equal rights for all citizens are important issues to you, then you cannot afford to sit out the election next Tuesday. 

With the numerous candidates who have student interests in mind, we have a unique opportunity this Tuesday to have our voices heard. I invite you to attend the College Democrats GOTV (Get Out The Vote) meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in Humanities TITU to learn about how you can help write the next chapter of political student involvement in Madison. 

Claire Rydell is chair of the College Democrats of Madison and a junior majoring in classics and history. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.