Mayor announces committee appointments for new alders

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced committee appointments for the newly elected alders in Madison's student districts Friday.

Bryon Eagon won former Ald. Eli Judge's position as District 8 alderman, while Bridget Maniaci took incumbent Brenda Konkel's seat in District 2.  

""I'm excited to begin work with two new alders that will be representing Madison students,"" Mayor Cieslewicz said in a statement. ""Bridget and Bryon are sharp young leaders that will work hard for students on City Council."" 

Eagon will begin to serve on the Downtown Coordinating Committee, the Joint Southeast Campus Area Committee, the Pedestrian/Bicycle/Motor Vehicle Commission, and the Public Safety Review Board.  

""I am eager to represent students on the council and am excited to work on these committees to advance the campus and downtown community,"" Eagon said in a statement. ""These committees encompass so many issues that students care about and I can't wait to hit the ground running."" 

Maniaci will begin her first term as District 2 alder serving on the East Washington/Capitol Gateway Build Steering Committee, the Housing Committee, the Landmarks Commission, and the Sister City Collaboration Committee. 

""I think the committee assignments will be a very good fit for the neighborhood and the issues I talked about in my campaign,"" Maniaci said. ""There is a lot of housing issues in our neighborhood, especially with several historical districts in the neighborhood as well.""  

Maniaci said her committee appointments, particularly her assignment to the housing committee, will give her the chance to impact the student issue of tenants' rights. 

""The Housing Committee holds great possibilities to improve the quality of rental houses that a lot of students live in,"" Maniaci said.  

Eagon and Maniaci will be officially sworn in as alders on Tuesday, April 21, just a few hours before their first Common Council meeting.