Badgers split series with UW-Green Bay

Badgers split series with UW-Green Bay: UW senior pitcher Leah Vanevenhoven (4-5) picked up the win in game two against UW-Green Bay Wednesday. She also earned two hits and two runs.

Badgers split series with UW-Green Bay

The Wisconsin softball team (1-3 Big Ten, 12-22 overall) split a pair of games with the UW-Green Bay Phoenix (1-2 Horizon, 12-12 overall) in bizarre fashion, getting shut out in game one 4-0, but winning game two by slaughter rule, 11-2. 

The Badgers' offense fell flat in game one, as Green Bay cruised to victory despite solid pitching from senior Leah Vanevenhoven. But Wisconsin came back with an offensive explosion in game two, capped off with stellar performances from unlikely candidates sophomore Kristyn Hansen in the circle and freshman Karla Powell at the plate. 

Badger junior pitcher Letty Olivarez got the ball in game one against the Phoenix. Green Bay got its offense going early, as Olivarez gave up two runs in the bottom of the second. After giving Green Bay a 3-0 lead in the top of the third, Vanevenhoven relieved Olivarez, in a reversal of last weekend where Olivarez relieved a struggling Vanevenhoven against the Indiana Hoosiers. 

""We have not picked the right horse,"" said head coach Chandelle Schulte, on the recent struggles of Badger starters. 

The story of game one was the stellar pitching of Green Bay's senior Amanda Margelofsky. The senior hurler from Oakfield, Wis., pitched a complete game shutout against the Badgers. Moreover, the Wisconsin lineup stranded ten batters on the base paths. 

But the offense that the Badgers were missing in game one came to life in game two, as Wisconsin took a commanding 3-0 lead through two innings. Vanevenhoven got the ball in game two against junior Green Bay pitcher Katie Cooney. After giving up a two-run home run in the top of the third inning to her counterpart Cooney, Hansen came off the bench to replace Vanevenhoven in the circle. 

Despite struggling in her only start earlier this year, Hansen pitched a sound 3.2 innings, giving up zero runs on only three Phoenix hits. 

""The difference between her and the other kids today is, she got in trouble, she got out of it,"" Schulte said about Hansen's performance in the circle. 

Over the rest of the game, Wisconsin's offense built an insurmountable lead, allowing Hansen to relax and giving her the rest she needed between innings. The Badgers plated multiple runs in the third, fifth and sixth innings, en route to an 11-2 slaughter rule victory. Olivarez hit her fourth home run of the season, while Powell went 4-for-4 at the plate. 

""Having a four run cushion, that just gives the pitcher just a great energy,"" said Hansen. 

Wisconsin has now split three straight series and will get back to Big Ten conference play this weekend, hosting the Illinois Fighting Illini April 4-5.