UW officials sign partnership

Chancellor Biddy Martin signed a partnership agreement with Tikrit University in Iraq during a videoconference Monday at Bascom Hall. 

Martin and other UW-Madison faculty members met with Tikrit University representatives during the video conference to discuss plans for the future partnership between the two universities.  

According to a statement, the universities will receive financial assistance from the U.S. Embassy and Iraqi government. With this money, UW-Madison plans to begin an instructional video conferencing program for Tikrit university faculty members. 

The partnership also hopes to provide visiting scholars from Iraq with access to research facilities at UW-Madison. 

Martin said the partnership will allow for a greater flow of ideas between the two universities. 

""This opportunity is particularly exciting to us for all kinds of reasons, [especially] because of the innovative modes of intellectual transfer that this will permit,"" Martin said. 

Brett Bruen, a UW-Madison alumni and U.S. Embassy Public Diplomacy officer at Tikrit University, said during the video conference that he contacted UW-Madison earlier this year with an interest in forming the agreement. 

""We are hoping we can play a supportive role in helping throughout this partnership,"" he said. ""What we mark today is an opportunity to walk side by side."" 

Maher Saleh Allawi, Tikrit University president, said in a statement that the collaboration will allow both universities to prosper for generations. 

""[This agreement] is allowing the next generation to open new lines of communication and a civilized connection between these two nations,"" he said. 

Martin agreed to meet face to face with Allawi and said she is excited about the future partnership. 

""I am very pleased to sign the agreement and look forward to a very long and prosperous relationship,"" Martin said. 

The UW-Madison Division of International Studies, who is facilitating the agreement, works with many other universities like Tikrit to promote scientific and educational advancement.