UW Band does charity

Members of the University of Wisconsin Marching Band gave back to the community Tuesday by volunteering with a local nonprofit, multi-service agency. 

Patricia Eldred, director of development and communications for Independent Living Inc., which assists disabled citizens, said this is the sixth time the band has participated in the annual Meals on Wheels program. 

The band played Badger songs outside homes of senior citizens before delivering the meals.  

It is pretty hard to ignore the marching band, they are great,"" Eldred said. ""These kids volunteer their time and are so busy anyways with their own schoolwork '¦ for them to take the time to do this is phenomenal."" 

According to Eldred, the Meals on Wheels program is part of a larger national campaign titled March for Meals. Eldred said Meals on Wheels programs nationwide will sponsor events to highlight the importance of diminishing hunger throughout the month of March.  

""The nation feels we are the best campaign because we have won awards every year, which means a couple of thousand dollars from the national headquarters,"" Eldred said. ""The band has been very helpful in helping us achieve [that goal]."" 

Band Director Mike Leckrone did not volunteer with band members but previously participated in a radio and TV presentation to promote the organization. 

The band will continue to deliver meals throughout the month of March. For more information visit http://indepenliving.com/mambo/.