Council adopts Talen fire ordinance

The common council voted unanimously to adopt the Peter Talen Smoke Alarm Ordinance at Tuesday night's meeting, making it law that Madison landlords place tamper-resistant smoke detectors in every bedroom.  

The memorial ordinance was first proposed to Common Council Nov. 18, 2008, exactly a year after the 23-year-old Plymouth native and UW-La Crosse student lost his life in a fire at 123 N. Bedford St. while visiting his brother in Madison.  

The ordinance, effective in August, demands the use of new tamper-resistant smoke detectors with lithium batteries that last 10 years, and will require that landlords place fire alarms in every bedroom. The alarms also feature a silence button, rather than removing the batteries. 

Patricia Talen, mother of Peter Talen, showed her strong support in backing the ordinance at Tuesday night's meeting. ""I have learned in a very difficult way that life is precious,"" Talen said, addressing the council. ""You are all affirming life and its precious value by adopting this ordinance.""  

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, introduced the ordinance to the council last fall and has worked closely with the Talen family, Madison Fire Department and others in drafting and carrying out the proposal.  

""I'll never forget the day of November 18, 2007,"" Verveer said. ""I ended that day by saying to myself that there has got to be something to do to prevent a similar tragedy from occurring.""  

Verveer said he was being given a tour of the burned-down house by a Madison firefighter when he saw a smoke alarm sitting on top of a refrigerator. ""The fact of the matter is that if this ordinance was in effect then, Peter Talen would still be alive today,"" said Verveer.  

Verveer also said this fire alarm ordinance gives Madison the status of having the most progressive model in the entire state of Wisconsin for fire safety.  

The new 10-year lithium battery smoke detectors can be purchased for $17, or landlords can buy them in bulk for a reduced price.