SSFC Chair steps down, new leaders elected

The chair of Student Services Finance Committee announced his resignation Thursday. 

Kurt Gosselin held the position for almost two years. He said he evaluated the decision of resigning during winter break. 

SSFC is a financial group affiliated with Associated Students of Madison. It prides itself on serving and funding the student organizations on campus through allocated and no allocated segregated fees. 

I had an opportunity to look at the emotional and physical toll the position took on me while I was working 40 hours a week on top of everything else,"" Gosselin said. 

Hannah Karns, vice chair of ASM, said she did not possess insecurities about replacing Gosselin. 

""It is unfortunate that the resignation had to occur at this point in the year, but we are confident that SSFC will remain in good hands for the remainder of the session,"" she said in a statement.  

According to Gosselin, the decision to resign could not have come at a better time. SSFC's major projects are completed, but the group still needs to deal with auxiliary budgets and subcommittee work. 

Gosselin said there are ""budding, enthusiastic"" committee members who he hopes will fill leadership positions next year. 

""I have tremendous confidence in members, including Tyler Junger and Brandon Williams,"" he said.  

Gosselin said he would spend his future time focusing on his academics, his personal relationships and practicing for the LSATS.  

At their meeting Thursday, members of SSFC elected new leadership to serve for the rest of the session. Carl Fergus will serve as chair, Kyle Szarzynski as vice chair and Tyler Junger as secretary. 

According to an ASM release, Gosselin said he will ""continue to look after students' interests on campus."" 

- Erin Banco