All Campus Party receives funding

all campus party: Hip hop artist Talib Kweli performs at the annual Wisconsin Alumni Student Board's All Campus Party last spring. WASB received full funding for the event Wednesday.

All Campus Party receives funding

The Associated Students of Madison granted the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board over $40,000 Wednesday for the All Campus Party.  

It's more than just a performance,"" ASM Representative Johnny Tackett said. ""It involves cultural experiences, and it's an alcohol-free event. It's really a good event for us representing the University of Wisconsin and representing the state."" 

The funds will come from ASM's Event Grant Fund. Of the fund, $29,650 will go toward hiring musical acts. Student Council debated granting an extra $25,000 to afford higher-end performers, but the motion failed in a tie vote.  

""I don't think it's fiscally responsible for us to throw more money into a performance,"" Carl Fergus, the new chair of the Student Services Finance Committee, said. ""It's nice to go to, but it's not educational.""  

WASB will also receive funds from corporate sponsors. 

ASM also voted Wednesday to sponsor the Domestic Partner Benefits Day of Action March 25 to encourage UW-Madison to offer domestic-partner benefits.  

Academic Affairs Chair Chris Tiernan said it would aid in recruiting and attaining professors.  

ASM Representative Matt Tobelmann added it would also help recruit graduate students looking for employment as teaching assistants. 

""Rallying behind domestic-partner benefits is long overdue,"" ASM Constitutional Committee chair Jeff Wright said. 

Timothy Fung, ASM Finance Committee chair, urged representatives to get out the vote on the proposed new ASM constitution, which students may do so Feb. 23 and 24.  

""We've come here today to perform our version of extreme makeover, ASM edition,"" Fung said. ""We believe we can change, we can change and we will change. Now is the time to get out the vote and flood the polls like an unstoppable tsunami."" 

Student Council approved many nominations, but Mary Collins, Nominations Board Chair, announced there are still many openings on Student Council and ASM committees. Students interested in applying can e-mail Collins at mcollins2@wisc.edu.