Safety forum to discuss problem solving tactics to reduce downtown armed robberies

In light of recent armed robberies, including a mugging of a Kappa Alpha Theta sorority member last week, the university will host a forum Tuesday to discuss safety on campus.  

The session will be held at 6 p.m. in the Media Room of the Red Gym on Langdon Street. 

Students and faculty members are invited to attend the forum to learn about safety issues on campus. 

Members of the Greek community, officers from the University of Wisconsin and Madison Police Departments, Dean of Students Lori Berquam, the Associated Students of Madison and Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, will offer their thoughts on safety.  

Students attending the forum will hear short briefings about the recent attacks and will participate in a problem-solving discussion.  

We want to identify action items that we can make progress toward for the safety of the entire campus community,"" Berquam said in a statement. 

Berquam and other university officials are again reminding students of to look out for personal safety through protocol safety tips. Students should unplug their headphones while walking home and should be aware of their surroundings at all times.  

Other officials attending the event include Langdon Street Neighborhood Officer Rene Gonzalez and representatives of SAFE Nighttime Services, the Langdon Street Watch and Capitol Neighborhoods Association.