High demand for student interns in Assembly

According to an e-mail sent to UW-Madison political science majors Monday, many state Assembly internships will be available to students this spring. 

These positions would involve working with constituents, tracking legislation, or entering data, according to the e-mail. 

Anthony Palese, legislative aide to state Rep. Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, said previous experience is not needed, but rather an interest and willingness to work in the Assembly. 

With a number of newly elected Democratic lawmakers, there is going to be a higher demand for workers this spring, giving students more opportunity in the field, Palese said. 

There's a lot of different opportunities to see how government works and really get up close and personal with the democratic process,"" Palese said. 

Palese said certain students could also receive credit through UW-Madison's Political Science 427 course.  

There is a minimum requirement of eight hours a week to work in these internships, but most offices are very flexible with hours, according to Palese.  

The internships are unpaid, but may lead to future, permanent jobs at the Capitol or other similar political positions, according to a statement.  

Brian Pleva, legislative aide to Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, said Republicans in the state Assembly have similar internship position openings for students. 

Pleva said positions vary depending on the needs of each representative and hours are very flexible with student schedules.  

""I think students could gain a better understanding of day-to-day workings of the Legislature,"" Pleva said.  

He said requirements include the ability to communicate coherently, arrive on time and have a willingness to work. 

Students interested in applying can contact state representatives for more information.