UW officials say band investigation is ongoing

UW-Madison's dean of students' office is in the process of conducting individual interviews with UW Marching Band members in the hazing investigation that led to the suspension of the entire band Friday for the game against Ohio State. 

University officials said the interviewing process began Friday night and is ongoing. 

University spokesperson John Lucas said Monday the band's suspension still stands and there is a chance they will not return for this week's night game against Penn State, depending on the status of the investigation. 

UW Band Director Mike Leckrone told WKOW Monday he thought a decision about the band's performance at this week's game could be made Tuesday. 

Three hundred and fifty seniors who did not win student season football tickets in this year's lottery had the chance to attend the Ohio State game for free as a result of the UW Athletic Department giving away seats in the section usually occupied by the band.  

The athletic department e-mailed UW-Madison seniors informing them of the chance to gain entrance into the game. Officials distributed tickets on a first-come, first-served basis to seniors who could show a university student ID and an e-mail printout. 

Vince Sweeney, senior associate athletic director for external relations, said Monday no decisions have been made for allowing more seniors to attend this week's night game. 

Due to the ongoing investigation, university officials said they do not know what kind of halftime show will be seen at the Oct. 11 game. Officials said it might look like the halftime show last weekend with video replays and commentary.  

Associate Dean Kevin Helmkamp, whom Dean of Students Lori Berquam put in charge of the investigation, and individual band members did not return calls as of press time.