Students looking to bring Halloween to Mifflin Street

Mifflin Halloween: The Mifflin Street Block Party is the model of an alternative to Freakfest that students are hoping to begin on Saturday night.

A group of UW-Madison students are organizing a Mifflin Street block party for Halloween this Saturday in an effort to provide an alternative to the Freakfest festivities on State Street and revive old traditions. 

The block party's purpose is to provide an event similar to the Freakfest of past years, according to Alex Kaufer, UW-Madison student and co-organizer of the party. Freakfest 2008 marks the third consecutive year that the city has gated and charged admission to State Street in an attempt to control the Halloween festivities that had caused riots and chaos in previous years. As city regulations increased, Kaufer said he and other students saw an increasing need for a place where people have the freedom to party how they want."" 

The organizers said the Halloween party would be similar to the Mifflin Street Block Party, which held its 40th annual celebration in May. While police do patrol the spring Mifflin Street Block Party, there is no admission charge or formal organization of the event by the city. 

Proponents of the Mifflin Halloween party said the event will offer a less regulated and cheaper option for partygoers this weekend. Xiyang Chen, UW-Madison student and co-organizer of the event, said he and his fellow organizers ""strongly feel the need for an alternative place [on Halloween]."" 

Chen said he is frustrated with the entertainment provided at Freakfest, particularly headlining band O.A.R. He said the band choice does not ""necessarily fit the taste of everyone."" 

Organizers are using chalk advertisements, paper fliers and Facebook publicity to attract partygoers to the event. Chen said many houses on Mifflin Street often throw parties on Halloween, and the block party will serve as a cooperative, communal event. 

Chen said he has attended Freakfest for the past three years, but hopes the new Halloween party on Mifflin Street will offer a ""better sense of community"" and set a precedent for future years so that ""people come together"" for an annual Mifflin Halloween.