SSFC and Student Council candidates fight for spot to create change in ASM fall elections

The Associated Students of Madison and university officials are encouraging UW-Madison students to participate in the 2008 ASM fall elections, which will continue through Wednesday, Oct. 15.  

There are 10 candidates running for to be a Freshman representative to Student Council and four candidates running to be a Student Services Finance Committee member. Four candidates will be elected for Student Council and two for SSFC.  

According to the ASM website, all UW-Madison students are eligible to vote for SSFC while only freshmen are allowed to vote for the freshmen Student Council representatives.  

Brad Silber, ASM marketing and advertising commissioner, said student participation in the elections is important not only for ASM but for students as well.  

I think [ASM elections] actually give students a voice '¦ they will be able to influence a lot of where their money is going,"" Silber said. ""ASM is part of the tuition, so for them to actually know where their money goes '¦ is incredibly important.""  

According to ASM Constitutional Committee Chair Jeff Wright, voting for candidates running for SSFC is especially important because the group decides what groups recieve student segregated fees. 

""It's very important considering millions of dollars in student segregated fees are allocated to student groups this year,"" Wright said.  

According to Silber, the goal of ASM this year is to again implement a student textbook swap, which gives students a chance to exchange their books with each other instead of selling them to the book store.  

Silber said the ASM members elected in the upcoming election will provide voices for the organizations's new constitution this year.  

""They are going to work on new referendum coming in February and put their input to things that go on with the ASM referendum,"" Silber said.