SK6ERS tour brings 'Celebration' to Madison

sk6ers: Brian Boots"" Factor, Stephen Kellogg and Keith ""Goose"" Karlson are bringing their sophistocated, critically acclaimed rock to Madison as they celebrate five years of fruitful artistic ambition.

When Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers at play the Majestic Theatre Thursday night, they won't be promoting a new album. No new members will grace the stage and no cause will overshadow their reason for being there. The Celebration Five Years Tour"" is simply a celebration. 

The Massachusetts trio, made up of Stephen Kellogg (guitar/vocals), Keith ""Goose"" Karlson (bass/keyboard) and Brian ""Boots"" Factor (drums), are celebrating the fact that they've spent the last five years constantly touring and recording together. Over those five years, SK6ERS has toured non-stop, playing almost 300 shows per year. Spending so much time together has given the band and its music a great chance to evolve.  

""I think we've matured a little bit musically in that we know a little bit more about what sort of music really moves us,"" said Kellogg, the band's lead singer.  

After five years, Kellogg said they still enjoy touring.  

""I love the adventure of it. I love the fact that it's different every night. We've made a lot of progress; we've had some really great moments. It's our life.""  

After five previous shows in Madison, SK6ERS have their favorite city spots already picked out, especially ""that place that has the macaroni and cheese pizza."" 

When they aren't touring, it's off to the studio for writing and recording. As a group, they have released four albums; Bulletproof Heart (2004), One Night in Brooklyn (2005), Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers (2005) and Glassjaw Boxer (2007). Glassjaw Boxer, was recognized by USA Today music critic Brian Mansfield as a top five album in 2007. Their next installment, American Standard, will be released in early 2009 and, according to Kellogg, it's their best album yet. He went on to say that this album is strikingly different from their previous work. Peeling down to the bare bones, Kellogg said the new album has gone in a ""slightly rootsier direction"" from previous albums. Nevertheless, this new minimalist sound shouldn't deter those who still want to rock.  

""Ultimately, the core of the band and our philosophy about putting on shows and stuff has changed very little over the last five years,"" Kellogg said, adding that, when his band goes on tour, they try to ""take the audience on a ride and go through the different emotions."" It is this audience rollercoaster that connects SK6ERS to their fans.  

""One of our biggest goals is for everybody to leave with a smile on their face,"" Kellogg said. ""I think our show is designed to leave people feeling good. And who doesn't want to feel good?"" 

Their show this Thursday may be just another tour stop for SK6ERS, but that doesn't mean the audience isn't in for a great time.