New hockey season brings excitement

Wisconsin's hockey season has just started up, and I couldn't be more excited about it. I have never actually played hockey, nor am I able to stand on ice skates for more than five minutes, but that's not to say I can't be a huge Badgers hockey fan. 

What can I say? I can't get enough of watching full-grown men viciously checking each other into the glass. And I probably shouldn't admit this, but dramatic fights on the ice are actually something I secretly look forward to every game I attend. Sure, it's unsportsmanlike and borderline immature, but the fans' response creates an atmosphere like no other. Just as long as nobody gets seriously hurt, I'm down with the throwing of punches. Let's face it: hockey fights are pretty much the same as boxing matches, except the contenders are wearing skates, causing the situation to be exponentially more entertaining. 

I am definitely a football fan too, but attending hockey games is so much more enjoyable. For one, it's indoors, and I know exactly what the temperature is going to be. Second, hockey consists of constant action. I get annoyed by how much the game clock stops during college football games. I mean, whoever thought 15 minutes could last so long? And lastly, I love showing off my great dance moves when the band plays Ring of Fire"" and ""Tequila."" Yes, all of the fans do the same thing, but I'm not afraid to jump out of my boogie box when I have the urge to be innovative. 

Even though the UW men's hockey team dropped its first two games of the season to top ranked Boston College and a talented New Hampshire squad, I think the Badgers have a bright year ahead of them. Wisconsin will probably miss last year's rookie phenom Kyle Turris - o - owho just netted his first goal in the NHL and had an assist for the Phoenix Coyotes Sunday - but I can almost guarantee you at least one player on the Badgers' roster will step up and be an obvious offensive threat within the next few games. I am expect a lot of leadership from senior forward Ben Street, and I am excited to see what head coach Mike Eaves has up his sleeves - rhyme intended. 

As for the women's team, they could not have gotten off to a better start. The lady Badgers have gone undefeated in the six contests they have competed in and are ranked No. 1 in the nation. Over the weekend, Minnesota-Duluth dropped two games to the University of Minnesota, allowing Wisconsin to climb to the top spot. 

Three Badgers have been carrying Wisconsin so far this season and already have registered double-digit scoring.  

Sophomore forward Hilary Knight, freshman forward Brooke Ammerman and junior forward Meghan Duggan have combined for 32 of Wisconsin's 105 points ,while five other players on the Wisconsin roster have also put up solid numbers and are just a few points shy of the top three point holders. 

Is there another NCAA championship within reach for the Wisconsin women's hockey team this season? Absolutely, but to get there, the Badgers have a long road of intense games ahead of them. The keys to a successful season ride on staying confident, not playing down to another team's level, and keeping control of the momentum against other top ranked teams.  

Like in any other sport, the women's hockey team needs to be ready for the unexpected underdog snatching a win from it. Once you are at the top, there is  

only one way to go, and that is down.  

Other teams are going to step on the ice with nothing to lose, while the lady Badgers have nearly everything on the line every game. 

Although this may be nerve-wracking for the players and the fans to think about, it only makes this season that much more exciting. 

And to put my expectations for this season in the words of the legendary Dick Vitale - Wisconsin hockey is going to be awesome, baby, with a capital ""A."" 

Do either of the Wisconsin hockey teams have what it takes to bring home another championship title at the end of the season? Let Crystal know what you think by e-mailing her at crowns@wisc.edu.