Zimmermann family sues management company alleging lack of proper security

County, city and university attorneys met in Dane County Circuit Court Thursday to fight subpoenas against various officials in the latest lawsuit filed by the family of slain UW-Madison student Brittany Zimmermann, The Capital Times reported. 

Zimmermann's parents are suing Wisconsin Management Company Inc., who manage the property at 517 W. Doty St. where an intruder killed Brittany on April 2, alleging that unsafe living conditions contributed to her death. The Capital Times reported the lawsuit alleges the management company knowingly failed to provide adequate security to residents"" after Zimmermann's fiancé Jordan Gonnering complained about the lack of secure doors and locks. 

The suit claims Wisconsin Management ""caused severe and grievous physical and emotional injury and distress to Brittany Zimmermann and caused her death"" and seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. 

According to The Capital Times, officials including Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, and Madison Police Chief Noble Wray were subpoenaed in the suit to disclose documents compiled in the homicide investigation, but attorneys argued to repeal the subpoenas in court Thursday. No decision was reached pending judge reassignment due to a conflict of interest.