Obama: Hurricane brings out nation's 'spirit of unity'

obama milwaukee: Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama spoke in Milwaukee about Hurricane Gustav and the importance of unity.

MILWAUKEE - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama made a stop in Milwaukee Monday to speak about unions and labor, but dedicated a large portion of his speech to Hurricane Gustav and the need to focus on relief efforts instead of politics. 

Obama said unions have made gains for American workers, such as the 40-hour work week, a minimum wage, health care and worker safety laws. 

Even if you're not a member of a union, you benefited from a union,"" Obama said. 

Obama said he intended to speak more about the middle class and workers, but it was not the appropriate time for political speeches because of the hurricane in the Gulf Coast. 

""It's a day for all of us to come together as Americans and send our thoughts and prayers to our brothers and sisters who worry in this hour about their homes and their livelihoods and their loved ones,"" he said. 

Obama said times of tragedy bring out the unity in the country because people can put their partisan beliefs aside to help those Americans who are in need. 

He said there was a connection between this spirit of unity and the union movement and it should not be restricted to times of catastrophe. 

""That spirit of looking out for one another, that core value that says I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper, that spirit is most evident during times of great tragedy,"" Obama said. 

Obama said, if elected, he would bring this feeling of unity to the White House. 

Before Obama took the stage, Gov. Jim Doyle, U.S. Sens. Herb Kohl and Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Milwaukee, spoke and promoted Obama's presidential campaign. 

""[People] have been looking and hoping for someone to come forward who will say we can do this, we can turn this country around, we can restore the American dream,"" Doyle said. 

Obama was introduced by Andy Nirschl, the president of a workers' union at the New Page Paper Mill in Kimberly, Wis. Nirschl said the small town of Kimberly depends on the mill, which will soon close down. 

He said Obama would look out for the welfare of workers. 

""Let me tell you: Barack Obama cares about us,"" Nirschl said. 

- Erin Banco contributed to this article