O.A.R. to play at Freakfest 2008, ticket prices up from last year

freakfest:

After city officials hinted last week that partygoers could expect a popular headlining act at Madison's Halloween celebration this year, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced Wednesday the band O.A.R. landed the gig for the upcoming Freakfest 2008. 

Attendees will also have to shell out more money for the Nov. 1 event. Freakfest 2008 ticket prices will be $7 in advance and $10 for the day of the celebration - up from last year's price of $5 for advance and $7 the day of. 

Once prone to drunken riots, Cieslewicz said Madison's Halloween celebration has transformed over the last three years into a music festival with costumes. The city has again partnered with Frank Productions to feature the live entertainment following the success of last year's Freakfest Lifehouse as the headlining band. 

We're thrilled to have a top music act headlining Freakfest this year, and I'm excited to be working with Frank Productions, along with city staff, students and downtown stakeholders to continue building on the success of the Halloween event,"" Cieslewicz said in a joint statement with Frank Productions and other city officials.  

Despite higher ticket prices, O.A.R. is expected to draw a larger and more diverse audience than previous years.  

""We've worked very hard to come up with a talent line up and a headliner that a huge cross-section of partygoers would enjoy,"" Fred Frank of Frank Productions said.  

Brandon Clementi, UW-Madison freshman, was pleased to find out O.A.R. is performing at his first Freakfest experience. 

""I'm super excited. I did some research, I'm a freshman this year, and last year I found out the headliner was Lifehouse and I was disappointed,"" Clementi said. 

Others criticized the choice. 

""I think its not the most appropriate band - O.A.R. is more chill, for Freakfest you want something more upbeat and exciting, like hip-hop,"" Chloe Loop, a UW-Madison junior said.  

In addition to O.A.R., Freakfest 2008 will include other bands like Donavon Frankenreiter, The Hard Lessons, Thriving Ivory and The Dollyroots on the Mountain Dew Amp/Z104 Stage on the corner of State Street and Capitol Square. 

Overall, students agreed they would pay higher ticket prices to see the live entertainment.  

""While the increase in price is regrettable, I think the fact that we are getting such a headliner at this year's event will make this year's Freakfest something that everyone can get excited about,"" said UW-Madison senior and District 8 Ald. Eli Judge.