Student support a must for College Democrats

Welcome back to the start of another year of school! As we head into September and begin to think about classes, football games and perhaps even our Halloween costumes, it might appear to be any other fall semester. But, this one's a little different. This fall we have the opportunity to make a direct impact on the city, the state and country we call home.  

On Tuesday, Nov. 4, we have a chance to elect individuals whom we feel best represent our dreams, our values and our vision for the future. On Election Day, we will vote to elect not only the next president, but representatives at both the state and local levels. On Tuesday, Nov. 4, we have the chance to elect and re-elect Democrats across the board who will work to better the America we love.  

In these next few months, we need to ask ourselves what is at stake in the 2008 elections. The future of our education, the reputation of our country, the well-being of our economy, our jobs, our health care system, and the environment hang in the balance. What kind of a nation do we wish to leave behind for our children and our grandchildren? Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., state Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis. and other Democrats have the correct solutions to our current and future problems.  

While we may focus on the weeks, months and years ahead, the work to elect these Democrats begins today. I invite you to join the College Democrats of Madison this fall as we work hard to do just that.  

As a member of the College Democrats you will have the opportunity to volunteer for campaigns, help organize events such as issues nights and panel discussions, and even take on leadership roles throughout election season. This fall, we will be registering thousands of voters and encouraging them to vote on Election Day.  

The College Democrats is a great way to meet fellow students interested in politics. In addition to our bi-weekly meetings and events, our volunteer and social opportunities allow us to build lasting friendships, which makes the work to elect Democrats fun and all the more meaningful. 

We have an exciting and important fall ahead of us. As UW-Madison students, we have the chance to make history. Yes, we do have our work cut out for us, but it is well worth the fight. I hope to see all of you at the College Democrats Kick-off Meeting on Sept. 16 TITU. 

Claire Rydell is Chair of the College Democrats of Madison. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com