Improvement a big goal for both men and women's soccer

Jamie Klages: Senior goalkeeper Jamie Klages (above) started 16 games in 2007 and will be a key player for the Badgers in the coming season.

After failing to win a Big Ten contest last season, the Wisconsin men's soccer team has nowhere to go but up. 

And up is exactly where head coach Jeff Rohrman expects the Badgers to go. 

I think we can accomplish quite a bit this year,"" Rohrman said. ""[Our players] are extremely driven and motivated."" 

Last year after dropping its season opener, Wisconsin won its next four games. The success proved unsustainable as the Badgers then won just two of their final 19 games, finishing with a 6-7-6 record. 

""We let a good start get away,"" Rohrman said. ""This year we're committed to completing a season."" 

The Badgers have already shown signs of quality play in two recent exhibition matches. Wisconsin tied UW-Parkside, 0-0, and then hammered Edgewood College, 6-0. 

""We came away from the Parkside game thinking we did pretty well but we couldn't finish whether it was a shot or a pass."" 

But the Edgewood game eased some of the offensive worries. 

""We are capable of scoring goals,"" Rohrman said. 

Wisconsin has many key players returning including last season's top goal scorer, senior forward Victor Diaz. Also returning are senior midfielder Scott Lorenz and junior forward Brandon Miller, who each started a team high 19 games last season. Senior Andy Miller, who lead all Badger defensemen in starts last season, returns as well, as does junior midfielder/forward Pablo Delgado. 

Rohrman is excited to see so many contributors return this season and expects several of them to stand out. 

""[Lorenz] is going to make a bit of a name for himself; he's a dynamic and elusive forward,"" Rohrman said. ""[And Delgado] will put the ball where he needs to, [he's] as good a passer there is in the conference."" 

Rohrman also said he believes his team has the most underrated player in the conference in Brandon Miller, who Rohrman called ""a very good athlete."" 

Wisconsin will stick with a 4-4-2 formation this year and besides a few position changes, Rohrman said there would be no major changes in strategy or philosophy. 

The Badgers will open their regular season against Wright State on the road on August 29 in the Dayton Flyer Classic. The Badgers will then face Denver in the Classic before returning back to Madison for their home opener against Santa Clara September 5. 

Women's season already underway  

The Wisconsin women's soccer team also has plenty of room for improvement this season. Last year, Wisconsin finished tenth out of eleven in the Big Ten with a 2-8 record (6-11-1 overall). And unlike the men's squad, the women do not have the luxury of many returning key players. 

Wisconsin will welcome 13 new players to the team this season, which will make improving the disappointing record from last season that much harder. 

""We have a lot of young players,"" head coach Paula Wilkins said. ""So how they adapt to the college game will be interesting."" 

With such a young team, many freshmen will be forced to take on starting roles. Freshmen midfielders Krista Lundgren, Leigh Williams and Erin Francel, freshman forward Laurie Nosbusch and freshman defender Taryn Francel all started against UW-Green Bay Aug. 27.  

The Badgers won the game on a goal by senior forward Taylor Walsh, a player Wilkins expects to excel this season. 

Walsh was voted team MVP as a junior last season and she shared the team lead in goals with four. Because Walsh took a medical redshirt earlier in her career at Wisconsin, she is able to return for a fifth season. 

Another player who brings experience to a youthful squad is senior midfielder Tricia Krombach. Krombach also netted a team high four girls last season. Other seasoned players who should contribute to this year's team are senior goalie Jamie Klages and junior defenseman Whitney Owusu. 

""The biggest focus we have is getting better each game,"" Wilkins said. 

The Badgers have already begun their 2008 campaign. They are 1-1 with a 3-0 loss to UW-Milwaukee before defeating UW-Green Bay. Wisconsin will host Western Michigan August 29 in another non-conference clash. Their Big Ten schedule begins September 26 with a home contest against Illinois.