Bielema suspends Smith indefinitely

lance smith: Running back Lance Smith may once again be sidelined for failing to follow the first-offender program.

Bielema suspends Smith indefinitely

One season after being suspended for all of UW's road football games, Lance Smith is again in trouble. 

Smith, a junior running back from Ohio, has been suspended from practice and competition indefinitely, according to a release from the Wisconsin Athletic Department. The penalty stems from the fallout of an altercation last summer. 

It has come to my attention that Lance has failed to meet certain requirements relating to the first-offender program he was placed in last fall,"" UW head coach Bret Bielema said in the release. 

In July 2007, Smith was suspended indefinitely for attacking his girlfriend during an argument over a cab fare. The suspension was lifted in early September, but Smith was barred from participating in road games.  

Smith entered the first-offender program after pleading guilty to charges of assault and battery and disorderly conduct but was expelled from that program Thursday. The athletic department said he is suspended ""pending the availability of further information relating to this matter"" but will still allow him to use support services like the academic support center and weight training room.  

Last year Smith ran for 426 yards and three touchdowns while averaging 6.0 yards per carry. He was expected to be an important part of the Badger running game as the No.2 back.  

These events leave just two running backs on the badgers roster who have played against college competition. Junior P.J. Hill has started for the last two seasons and was named national freshman of the year after the 2006 season.  

His main backup is now Zach Brown, who started late last season and ran for 568 yards and five touchdowns. Heralded recruit John Clay redshirted last year but is expected to contribute in the fall.  

After Smith's suspension was handed down last year, Bielema lobbied to have it reduced, though in the end it was upheld.