UW's memorable season marred only by tragic finish

Women's Volleyball: Senior libero Jocelyn Wack set a record for digs during her final season as Badger, but was unable to lead Wisconsin past the second round of the NCAA Tournament

The Wisconsin volleyball team had a stellar year that was only soured by an abrupt and unexpected ending. The Badgers compiled a 25-4 record in the regular season, including a 17-3 Big Ten campaign, and had several players put up incredible numbers throughout the year.  

Early on, senior middle blocker Taylor Reineke, junior middle blocker Audra Jeffers and sophomore opposite hitter Katherine Dykstra all ranked in the Big Ten's top ten for blocks per game. Sophomore outside hitter Brittney Dolgner picked up where she left off last season and mingled with the conference's best in kills and points per game. Reineke also showed her prowess on the offensive side of the net, maintaining a hitting percentage over .300 for much of the season. 

Further highlighting its successful year, Wisconsin pulled off wins against several 2006 NCAA tournament contenders, including UW-Milwuakee, Northern Iowa and a two-match rout of conference rival Purdue. Wisconsin marched into Minneapolis and snagged a rare sweep of  

the Golden Gophers on their home court.  

In front of the first-ever sellout crowd of more than 10,000 for a volleyball game at the UW Field House, Penn State narrowly defeated the Badgers in a match that ultimately decided the winner of the Big Ten conference title.  

Such performances led to All-Big Ten honors for Dolgner, Reineke and senior setter Jackie Simpson. Dolgner and Reineke were given second- and third-team All-American honors respectively for their efforts. 

But with five seniors leading them into the NCAA tournament on the heels of a remarkable season, the Badgers met an early demise in the most unexpected fashion. Having been awarded the privilege of being a regional host in the 2007 NCAA Tournament, Wisconsin secured home-court advantage for the first four rounds.  

The Badgers easily blew past Northern Iowa to begin post-season play, but in a disastrous performance against Iowa State in the second round, the Badgers were forced out of the tournament.  

Coaching against the team where she was once an assistant, Cyclone head coach Christy Johnson led her team to a 3-0 sweep on the Badgers' home court in front of a stunned crowd to end Wisconsin's season.