Catch it like Beckum

beckum: Wisconsin tight end Travis Beckum always seemed to elevate his play whenever the Badger offense needed a lift.

Catch it like Beckum

Following the conclusion of the 2007 football season, many thought his two-reception, 22-yard performance in the Outback Bowl would be the last they saw of then-junior tight end Travis Beckum in a Badger uniform. It was almost a given that after he tallied a career-high 75 receptions for 982 yards during the season, the main-receiving threat would be heading to the NFL. 

However, shortly after the end of the Badger's 9-4 campaign, Beckum made it clear he was coming back to complete his final year of eligibility.  

During his past two seasons as a starter, he recorded team highs in yardage and receptions for all receivers. He has vaulted himself into the upper echelon of tight ends in the nation and undoubtedly leads by example on the field.  

Usually lined up at tight end, Beckum consistently gives opposing linebackers headaches as his blazing speed and excellent catching skills make for nearly impossible matchups. 

Against Michigan State at Camp Randall Stadium last September, the All-American decimated the Spartan secondary by catching 10 Tyler Donovan passes for a whopping 132 yards and what turned out to be a much needed touchdown. The Badgers held on to defeat MSU 37-34 to improve to 5-0 early in the season.  

The following week, Beckum performed even better. As the team fell behind against upstart Illinois, he literally took the game into his own hands. At a critical juncture, with his team struggling to move the ball, Beckum caught a Donovan pass while already on the ground, which jumpstarted the Badgers' comeback attempt. However, the Illini proved to be too much to handle and held on for the 31-26 upset of UW. Beckum, though, ended the game with 11 receptions for 160 yards.  

A few weeks later, with any hopes of a conference title riding on a potential upset, UW faced off at No. 1-ranked Ohio State. Trailing 10-3 at the midway point, Beckum made it known he was going to be a force once again. After starting the second half with the ball, UW marched down to the Buckeye 28-yard line. On a second-and-25 play, Donovan threw the ball to the back of the end zone where Beckum made a diving grab that evened the score.  

The Badgers eventually took a 17-10 lead but were unable to hang on, eventually surrendering 21 fourth-quarter points before losing 38-17. Beckum finished with a game-high nine receptions, 140 yards and a touchdown.  

This season, the tight end position, though banged up during spring practice, will provide the passing game with plenty of talent to be effective as the younger receivers develop. So much so that Todd McShay of ESPN has Beckum currently listed as the 17th overall pick for next year's NFL Draft.  

Badger fans just hope he has another season similar to his previous two.