Sellery Hall robberies raise safety concerns

After several separate incidents over the weekend at Sellery Hall, officials reminded residents to lock their doors and take caution while walking at night 

According to Sellery Hall Area Coordinator James Franzone, two Sellery Hall residents were harassed by an individual in the ally near the Double Tree Hotel last weekend. One of the victims' bags was stolen and they left the scene with bruises to the head.  

That same night in a separate incident, two other Sellery residents had more than $2,000 worth of possessions stolen. The items taken include a laptop, iPod and digital camera.  

The residents left their door unlocked at night and the individual stole their possessions while they were sleeping, according to Franzone.  

We have camera footage on the first floor, for every exit of the building,"" Franzone said. ""We have requested that camera footage so that we can view it between the time frame of when they went to bed and when they got up."" 

With the recent violence on campus, dorm officials are re-evaluating their strategies for safety. Franzone said that it is a constant process to ensure dorm officials do everything possible in terms of securing the facility.  

""We have implemented things like the automatic locks on the doors, the keys to get up into the stairwells and to get to a floor from the elevators,"" he said. 

Sellery Hall had a training session with UWPD on April 17 where housing officials trained by learning about housing issues. Part of the training consisted of walking around the exterior of the dorm and looking for physical safety issues like lighting and tall bushes.  

Sergeant Mark Silbernagel from UWPD praised University Housing for its continued effort to improve dorm safety and for their cooperation with the department. 

""UWPD has liaison officers that are assigned to each of the residence halls to monitor the hallways at night and to help foster a safe environment,"" he said.  

Silbernagel encouraged students to visit http://www.upwd.wisc.edu/ for safety tips in dorms and across campus as a whole.