Mifflin music rules stand

: Madison Police Department Central District Captain Mary Schauf reminds students to be cautious and lock windows and doors during the May 3 Mifflin Street Block Party.

Mifflin music rules stand

With the Mifflin Street Block Party just days away, Madison officials reiterated ground rules for the festivities at a neighborhood meeting Tuesday.  

Students packed the Madison Senior Center to voice questions and concerns of their own, many focusing on a crackdown on noise violations. UW-Madison junior Tom Wangard presented a petition with some 150 signatures from Mifflin residents asking for more reasonable limits on noise violations, but city officials did not budge, saying they had already made concessions to keep the noise level as high as it is. 

My biggest concern is the ability to communicate safely both for my staff and improving the overall safety of this event,"" Madison Police Department Central District Captain Mary Schauf said. ""You don't have a right to have your music override your neighbors.""  

Schauf also emphasized the need for students to take responsibility for their guests. 

""You have some ownership for the safety of the people who come to your residence to party with you,"" Schauf said. ""Our biggest priority concern is the safety not only for you, for your property, but for all these people that are attending this event."" 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, who organized the meeting, echoed Schauf's appeal for accountability and cooperation. Verveer recommended students lock doors and windows and be aware of who their guests are whenever possible. 

""We can expect thousands and thousands of people to descend on your neighborhood on Saturday,"" Verveer said. ""Unfortunately a very small percent will be there to commit crimes of opportunity.""  

Madison Fire Marshal Ed Ruckriegel laid out a number of recommendations for keeping one's property and home safe during the block party, including avoiding grills and bonfires. Riegel warned especially against overcrowding balconies, which he said are prone to collapse. 

If parties grow out of control, Sgt. Dave McCaw of Madison's Community Policing Team urged students to call him at 608-576-2300. McCaw's unit will be dealing solely with illegal house parties on Saturday, and he said he would willingly clear out any house party, but only at a student's request.  

""I will be the bad guy,"" McClurg said. ""It gets you out of that pressure to end it.""  

UW-Madison junior Angela Cuda, who lives on the 500 block of Mifflin, said the increased police presence, including several new video cameras on Mifflin Street, could limit the fun but is ultimately necessary for protection. 

""I think that they're increasing the surveillance in light of the Zimmerman murder, which is probably a good thing because safety is important to the campus right now,"" Cuda said.