Five keys to Saturday's Spring Game

Five keys to Saturday's Spring Game: Junior running back Lance Smith is eager to make an impact for UW after missing all of the Badgers' road games last season.

Five keys to Saturday's Spring Game

1. Running backs 

Wisconsin boasts a group of running backs that most schools across the country would envy. Former national Freshman of the Year, junior P.J. Hill anchors the squad. Fellow junior Lance Smith served a university-issued penalty for an off-field incident last season.  

My job in general is whenever the ball is in my hands, make big plays regardless of how many times,"" Smith said.  

It would not be surprising to see formations that include two or three running backs on a given play. Look for sophomore Zach Brown and freshman John Clay to get their fair share of reps on Saturday.  

2. Wide receivers 

The most experienced receiver on this year's team is sophomore Kyle Jefferson. However, he injured his leg earlier this week while running through a hallway, requiring stitches. On Thursday, Jefferson was not walking with a noticeable limp, and he may be able to play on Saturday.  

Sophomore David Gilreath, who had an outstanding season as a punt returner last year, has made big strides throughout practice this spring. Look for sophomore Isaac Anderson to make an impact during the course of the Spring Game as well.  

""I think David Gilreath, just from his attitude, he really wanted to come into spring and get better as a receiver, and I think he's done it, making a few plays,"" head coach Bret Bielema said.  

""Then, Isaac Anderson, just overall has made a huge step. He's gained some weight and started to do things better."" 

3. Defensive line 

Three of the four projected starters for the defensive line have missed major time this spring. Seniors Jason Chapman and Mike Newkirk and sophomore Kirk DeCremer all missed the entire spring due to injuries. Junior college transfer Dan Moore suffered a knee injury halfway through spring and has not returned.  

Look for junior Jeff Stehle to step up and anchor a battered unit. He has played impressively at defensive tackle throughout the spring. Other young linemen to pay attention to include senior Josh Neal, junior O'Brien Schofield, who suffered a broken bone and plays with a club over the injured hand, and freshmen Jasper Grimes, Louis Nzegwu and Patrick Butrym.  

4. Linebackers 

Both projected starting outside linebackers on the UW defense were victims of injuries during the spring. Senior DeAndre Levy suffered a leg injury early on and sat out several practices. Senior Jonathan Casillas suffered a sprained ankle and has missed three weeks of practice. He made a return Thursday night, but was limited to non-contact drills.  

Watch for linebackers such as senior Ryan Flasch, juniors Jaevery McFadden and Erik Praither, sophomores Culmer St. Jean and Blake Sorensen and freshman Kevin Rouse all to receive significant playing time.  

5. Special teams 

After losing both place-kicker Taylor Mehlhaff and punter Ken DeBauche to graduation, new players are battling for the spots. The team has only been able to practice outside twice in spring, making it difficult to evaluate the players.  

So far this spring, freshman place-kicker Philip Welch and punter Brad DeBauche have shown flashes of potential. On Saturday, look at how the kickers perform with the added pressure of kicking in front of a crowd. 

""[Welch] has got an incredible leg strength,"" Bielema said. ""He's still a freshman understanding how much concentration [it] takes. Brad [DeBauche] is going through the same thing. One out of every two or three kicks is a sailer and it's all about his drop.""