Bucks' new GM brings hope for future

John Hammond signed on to the Milwaukee Bucks' front office just in time to see the latest laid egg. in the team's home finale, it gave up 151 points in regulation to the non-offensive Chicago Bulls, losing by 16 points.  

Appropriately, whatever was left of the fan base at the Bradley Center left with a bad parting gift in what was a forgettable season. 

As the new general manager, Hammond can take that as evidence that he has his work cut out for him. Take it from Kevin Garnett, who the other day said the Bucks don't really have any significance."" 

Biting, but true for this toothless organization. Milwaukee finished this season with 56 losses. Worse yet, their roster leaves Hammond with big money and seemingly little in the way of options. 

The first order of business for him is to use his clout in the league to reel in a big-name coach, a process surely in the works as we speak. Scott Skiles and Rick Carlisle are names that are getting the most mention. Both are leaps and bounds better than what Milwaukee has had on the sidelines since George Karl.  

Most realistically, the Bucks could land Skiles, who was fired by Chicago earlier this year. He would be a solid fit, because, unlike the last three coaches, he has a record that speaks for itself - wins in the playoffs and focus on defense. Team owner Herb Kohl should see to it that the organization pays the going rate for the kind of coach the Bucks have been eminently lacking. 

If you think it will be difficult for Milwaukee, plumbing the depths of the lowly Eastern Conference, to attract a respectable coach, consider Hammond's task in the personnel department. He has to rebuild a team that essentially has no identity, other than perhaps being the softest defensive group in the league. 

To pull a complete turn of direction, the Bucks have to rid themselves of the elements that refuse to defend. Coming from Detroit, Hammond understands the importance of playing at both ends of the court.  

He can begin by extending the contract of Andrew Bogut, around whom the Bucks can begin to restructure. During the team's unspeakably bad season, Bogut showed that he is the second-best center in the conference and made the improvement the organization was waiting for from the No. 1 pick. He defends, rebounds and plays through injury, all while affecting a tough-guy mentality that Hammond is familiar with. Bogut is the only player to be classified as untouchable for potential trade partners. 

To the extent that Hammond has to work to find a coach and sign Bogut long-term, he has to put even more effort into trading Mo Williams and Charlie Villanueva. Whether or not the Bucks thought Williams would be their long-term answer at point guard, his time in Milwaukee should be coming to an abrupt end. Undeniably talented and potentially effective on other teams, Williams reneged on his commitment to play defense and doesn't have the smarts the Bucks need at that position. Villanueva's attitude and focus on offense is just incompatible with the team. 

In theory, the Bucks could even part ways with their most talented player, Michael Redd. If Hammond is going to follow the Detroit model, Redd's salary will be called into question as an albatross. 

In any event, the bottom line is that Hammond was instrumental in building one of the NBA's best teams in Detroit. Herb Kohl must afford him all the resources he needs if that is to become the case in Milwaukee. 

If you think ESPN's Bill Simmons should have been named the Bucks' GM instead, e-mail Jon at bortin@wisc.edu