Badgers hoping to steal luck of the Irish

Joey Daniels: Senior catcher Joey Daniels had one RBI and two runs in an 8-3 win over Penn State Saturday, Wisconsin's lone win last weekend.

Wisconsin will continue its turbulent season Wednesday when they visit South Bend, Ind., to face Notre Dame. 

There was a definite degree of uncertainty entering the season since Wisconsin lost Eden Brock, the team's best pitcher last year; Samantha Polito, who led the team in batting average; and Katie Hnatyk, who hit a team-high 11 home runs in 2007. 

Honestly this is the first time in 14 years I didn't have expectations. I really wasn't sure what we were going to get,"" head coach Chandelle Schulte said. ""I knew we were young and I knew we were missing some key [parts]."" 

In terms of winning and losing, junior outfielder Valyncia Raphael agreed with Schulte that accumulating expectations were difficult. 

""I really didn't have any expectations,"" Raphael said. 

But in terms of molding as a team, Raphael was hopeful her squad would be successful. 

""I just wanted the girls to come together because I knew half the team would be coming in, would be new players,"" Raphael said. ""And now, since we're pretty much winding down, that expectation has definitely been met. We've come together as a team and we definitely have good team chemistry."" 

Unfortunately for Wisconsin, the fulfillment of that prospect has not translated into wins. The Badgers have dropped three out of four games within their conference the past two weekends and are now 2-10 in the Big Ten and 12-32 overall. 

""I can't say I'm disappointed based on the expectations, but I am disappointed,"" Schulte said. ""I feel we could have won some ball games that we didn't."" 

The Badgers currently sit in the basement of the conference and will have to turn things around quickly if they want to qualify for the Big Ten Tournament in May. One way to get back on track would be to defeat a good team, such as the Irish. 

""They're always good,"" Schulte said. ""They have gotten some of the better recruits in the country the past couple years."" 

Notre Dame is 26-12 this season and has beaten ranked teams No. 17 DePaul and No. 24 Virginia Tech. 

Junior pitcher Brittney Bargar is 20-7 this season with a 0.78 earned run average and senior infielder Katie Laing is leading the team in batting average at .361. The Irish rank second in the Big East in both average and ERA. 

Coach Schulte was adamant about the importance of winning the non-conference game. 

""I would like to put a complete game together - we haven't done that in a while,"" Schulte said. ""I would like to reduce the number of lead off batters getting on and reduce our strikeouts. If we could do those things we will be a little more successful."" 

One aspect Wisconsin flourished in for at least one game last weekend was their hitting. The Badgers set a season high with 11 hits Sunday in an 8-3 win over Penn State. 

""I hope we can keep hitting,"" Raphael said. 

After Wednesday's game Wisconsin will return to its conference schedule, having to face Iowa (7-3) Friday and Saturday and Illinois (3-7) in a Sunday doubleheader.