Badger football shows promising defense despite injuries

The spring football season reached its conclusion Saturday afternoon at Camp Randall Stadium with the annual spring game.  

On the surface, the Cardinal beat the White 28-3, but both defensive units throughout the game made huge strides that go unnoticed when just looking at the final score.  

An impressive feat was accomplished when the offense was only able to find the end zone twice, considering seven of 11 projected starters on the defensive unit did not participate. 

I think they gave up some yards, but they made up some big plays,"" head coach Bret Bielema said of the defensive performance Saturday. ""The biggest thing was I think that we got an extended amount of looks at guys that normally wouldn't get that much ... I think the big thing is that we have to take the positives from the negatives."" 

Arguably the most impressive defensive player on the field was junior defensive back Chris Maragos.  

Early in the game, Maragos broke on Evridge's pass and jumped in front of sophomore wide receiver David Gilreath's route to make the interception. The play was exciting for the estimated 22,000 in attendance, but the coaches have seen his playmaking ability all spring.  

""I think right now, in our sub package, he would be a guy that would start at the other safety position if we were playing (junior) Aubrey Pleasant or (sophomore) Jay Valai at the down position,"" Bielema said. ""Anyway we can get him on the field ... I really believe just because the way he is, the way he competes, he can be a tremendous special teams player for us.""  

Another welcome surprise for the Badger faithful was the performance of the UW linebackers. With senior Jonathan Casillas still recovering from a sprained ankle, some of the younger guys received multiple reps. In fact, senior Ryan Flasch and juniors Erik Prather and Jaevery McFadden, all back-ups, logged the most tackles of anyone on the team, each finishing with nine.  

""I think that is one of the most important things about spring ball,"" senior linebacker DeAndre Levy said. ""People kind of don't see the relevance of it because it is so far away, it's like in the middle of nowhere. [But] it gives guys an opportunity to play and compete and be comfortable for next year.""  

The defensive line has been the most banged up throughout spring. Following the broken lower leg senior defensive end Matt Shaughnessy suffered, no projected starters participated in the game. Instead, younger players such as freshman Louis Nzegwu, who finished with three tackles, had an opportunity to show the fans a glimpse of the future.  

""He's still a little light potato, but he goes hard, he has a good motor,"" Bielema said. ""He's extremely gifted athletically ... He can be something for us on third down, he's got great explosion."" 

With no specific football practices scheduled for the remainder of the school year, the Badgers will rely on the summer months to improve physically and recover from injuries. In fact, Bielema believes most of the injured players should be back in time for fall camp. 

""I think we should have everybody back, other than Matt (Shaughnessy) in the full practice. Even (sophomore defensive back) Aaron Henry was a question at one time, but everybody other than that should be able to begin our new workout program.