Young tight ends get shot to star

Young tight ends get shot to star: Sophomore Kyle Jefferson has the most experience on Wisconsin's young receiving corps. Yet, he is not guaranteed to start this fall.

Young tight ends get shot to star

With the start of spring practice comes an opportunity for underclassmen to show coaches what they can bring to the table. That is exactly how the second day of practice played out for the UW football team early Tuesday morning.  

At no position was there a better opportunity to impress coaches than at tight end. Both starters from last year's squad, senior Travis Beckum and junior Garrett Graham, were sidelined with injuries during practice. Because they were not on the field, many of the younger tight ends took more snaps than usual.  

This is a great opportunity with Garrett and Travis out of the lineup to see where they are,"" head coach Bret Bielema said following practice. ""I think Mickey [Turner] and Lance [Kendricks] in particular are taking full advantage of it."" 

Sophomore Lance Kendricks, who many compare to a young Travis Beckum, originally came to UW to play wide receiver. Much like Beckum, once Kendricks was integrated into the system, the coaches felt he would make a better tight end. However, that is where the comparisons stop.  

""They really are kind of two different beasts,"" Bielema said. ""Lance is very athletic and competitive but probably not as natural an athlete as Travis. On the same account, Lance has got good speed when he gets in the open field."" 

Several players also have the opportunity to shine at the wide receiver position. After losing Paul Hubbard and Luke Swan to graduation, the Badgers are relatively young and inexperienced at the position.  

Sophomores Kyle Jefferson and David Gilreath would likely jump into the starters role, but Bielema believes this will be an open competition until fall camp.  

""I think all receiver positions are wide open,"" he said. ""Kyle has the natural position just cause he finished the season there, he was able to do some certain things. But there really isn't anybody in that program right now that has established themselves as an ever down player at the wide receiver position."" 

Other players not participating in the non-contact practice were senior and sophomore cornerbacks Allen Langford and Aaron Henry, respectively, as they both are still recovering from ACL injuries. Senior defensive tackles Jason Chapman, also recovering from an ACL injury, and Mike Newkirk were inactive as well.  

Newkirk re-aggravated a shoulder injury that may have occurred last season and team officials are waiting to see if it will require surgery. If surgery is needed, Newkirk would likely return in time for summer conditioning.  

""What I've really been pleased with these first two days is the way the guys who aren't involved are staying involved,"" Bielema said regarding injured players.  

""That's a hard thing to do, but, especially with certain kids, you want to turn negatives into positives. The one thing I emphasized to the coaches is give your kids a plan for the guys who can't play and make them coach and educate those other guys.""