Softball team loses first four conference games

Softball team loses first four conference games : Despite UW's struggles, junior first baseman Alexis Garcia plated two runners on a squeeze play against Northwestern Saturday.

The Wisconsin softball team opened Big Ten play on the road last weekend, and the results were disastrous. The Badgers (0-4 Big Ten, 10-25 overall) fell to Northwestern (4-0, 17-8) on Friday and Saturday and then were swept in a doubleheader on Sunday at Michigan State (2-2, 16-15). 

The weekend started out about as poorly as is possible as the No. 16 Wildcats beat the Badgers 10-0. The game was called after five innings because of the 10-run rule, and the Badgers could not get a single hit off Wildcat sophomore pitcher Lauren Delaney. Through five innings, Delaney allowed no base runners and struck out eight batters. Delaney improved to 12-6 with the victory. 

Sophomore Letty Olivarez took the loss for Wisconsin and fell to 4-11 on the season. Olivarez made the start and allowed eight runs on four hits and four walks. Only five of the Wildcat runs off Olivarez were earned. 

Northwestern needed just four turns at bat to produce its 10 runs. Junior shortstop Tammy Williams and junior catcher Erin Dryer each hit three-run home runs for the Wildcats. And freshman outfielder Jordan Wheeler, sophomore second baseman Nichole Pauley and senior third baseman Darcy Sengewald drove in runs for Northwestern. 

On Saturday the Badgers played a much more competitive game against NU at Drysdale Field in Evanston, Ill., but still fell to the Wildcats, 4-3. 

With the game scoreless in the third inning, Northwestern loaded the bases on Sengewald and Williams singles and a Pauley walk. Dryer then hit a two-out grand slam to put Northwestern ahead 4-0. 

Wisconsin responded in the next inning with some small ball. A squeeze play by junior first baseman Alexis Garcia scored two runs and put the Badgers right back into the contest. 

Wisconsin was held in check until the sixth inning when Garcia came through again with clutch hitting. This time Garcia singled to score senior catcher Joey Daniels and pull within one. But a ground out by junior right fielder Ricci Robben ended the inning. 

Delaney again picked up the win for Northwestern, allowing three earned runs on three hits and a walk through seven innings. Junior Leah Vanevenhoven started for Wisconsin and allowed four earned runs on six hits and five walks through six innings. 

Things went from bad to worse as Wisconsin lost two more games to Michigan State and was outscored 12-2 in the process. 

The Spartans took the opener, winning 8-2. It was another tough outing for Olivarez. The sophomore was unable to get through two innings after allowing six runs on four hits and two walks. Freshman Shae Bass threw a complete game for the Spartans and allowed six hits, two walks and one earned run while striking out six. 

Spartan freshman shortstop Bianca Mejia drove in four runs on two hits, and senior center fielder Nikki Nicosia had two hits, two runs driven in and two runs scored. 

Wisconsin could not get much going offensively again during the nightcap at Old College Field in East Lansing, Mich., and lost 4-0. 

Senior Lesley Noel earned the shutout for the Spartans and improved to 8-9 by allowing just five hits and one walk. 

Olivarez made the start for Wisconsin and allowed three runs and seven base runners in four innings. With the loss, Olivarez fell to 4-12. 

Nicosia hit two home runs and drove in three for the Spartans. Bianca produced the other run for the Spartans.