Leader first and pitcher second

Sophomore Pitcher Letty Olivarez currently holds a 4-10 record with a 3.80 ERA heading into Big Ten play. :

Leader first and pitcher second

When searching for a leader, most teams look to upperclassmen with experience and a knack for guidance. But in Wisconsin's case, a sophomore has emerged as one of this softball team's skippers. 

Pitcher Letty Olivarez is only halfway through her second year for the Badgers, but the right-hander has already become the opening day starter and a fixture in Wisconsin's two-man pitching rotation. 

This season, the Newark, Calif., native is 4-10 with a 3.80 earned run average in 15 starts and 27 appearances. 

Olivarez's main focus while practicing is on pitching, but she has also made contributions to the team with her bat. She has nine hits this season, including two doubles and a home run, and has driven in seven runs. 

Being a team leader is no easy task, especially for someone such as Olivarez, who possesses relatively limited experience. But it is a role Olivarez has taken to this season, and is something she stays conscious of. She said working on becoming a leader and keeping her team behind her are the most important parts of performing as a player. 

Olivarez embraces the role, but being counted on as a leader is something that comes with the role of a starting pitcher. 

Just being on the mound kind of makes me a leader,"" Olivarez said. ""You get the ball every pitch [which makes it] a leader position."" 

As a freshman, Olivarez had major responsibilities on the team by being included in the squad's rotation. She did not disappoint, winning nine games and posting a 2.30 ERA in 18 starts and 30 appearances. Olivarez also threw 127.2 innings, allowed 113 hits, gave up 65 walks and struck out 93 batters. 

Many of Olivarez's statistics, including wins, ERA, strikeouts and appearances, were second on the team to then-senior Eden Brock's. Olivarez admitted that she was nervous about filling Brock's shoes as the No. 1 starter. However, Olivarez is pleased with the way she has handled the increased pressure. 

""I think I've made a good transition to being a leader by stepping up to show [my teammates that I] want to lead and [have] the desire to win."" 

Being a frontrunner on the team has its glory, but it also means taking on the added pressure of supporting her teammates' play when things are not going smoothly. 

""You always have to stay positive,"" Olivarez said. ""If someone hits a home run off me, I can't sit back and bring my team down with me. I always have to stay up."" 

Despite a 10-21 record this season, Olivarez is pleased with the team's energy and is optimistic that her team is beginning to come together. 

Olivarez and the Badgers will open Big Ten competition this weekend on the road. On Friday and Saturday Wisconsin will play No. 16 Northwestern before they square off for a doubleheader against Michigan State Sunday.