Break in

Football team loses spring in step due to injuries

The UW football team's defensive line, like several positions, is injury-plagued following the fifth practice of spring ball.  

Seniors Jason Chapman and Mike Newkirk are currently recovering from ACL and shoulder surgeries, respectively. While both are expected to make full recoveries and be ready to participate in fall camp, the door has opened for many of the younger players on the Badger roster to turn heads.  

Junior Dan Moore, former player at both Eastern Illinois and Joliet Community College, accepted a scholarship this spring to play for the cardinal and white. Many feel the 6'2\ defensive tackle could become an impact player. However, transferring from a junior college to one of the elite Big Ten programs takes time to adjust.  

""It's very different. You just have to completely change your mindset and just put your nose to the ground because it's hard work,"" said Moore, who is currently listed as second on the depth chart behind senior Matt Shaughnessy. ""The lifts are intense, and then practice, film study and everything you do. You really just have to step your game up with everything that you do."" 

The Badgers also lost NFL hopeful Nick Hayden following completion of his eligibility last fall, opening another spot. Up to this point in the spring schedule, junior Jeff Stehle has been logging snaps with the No. 1 defensive line group. Though Stehle may just be filling in until Chapman and Newkirk return, he relishes the opportunity.  

""I think it is a great opportunity to show them [coaches] that I can play in there and be another option when those guys come back,"" Stehle said. ""Chapman and Newkirk are great players and hopefully they are going to fully recover, and I just want to get in there and roll."" 

Redshirt freshman Patrick Butrym is another contender competing during spring practice. Head coach Bret Bielema admitted he was shuffling Butrym around the defensive line to figure out where he would fit best, and eventually settled on lining him up at the defensive tackle position.  

""At first we didn't know if he was going to be an inside or outside guy,"" Bielema said. ""We've moved him to the inside, [and] he probably had his best practice last Tuesday. Patrick is into it."" 

After playing solely on the scout team last fall with a number of other freshmen, Butrym realizes the transition off the scout team is tantalizing, and patience is required.  

""You have flashes of brilliance and then you have flashes of being a freshman,"" he said after Thursday's practice. ""There are just some things that you got to focus on, mental stuff. This is really the first time that a lot of the freshmen have seen significant action ... you just need to adjust. Every play counts and you really got to try and improve every day."" 

Day Five Practice Notes: 

Starting outside-linebacker Jonathan Casillas suffered an ankle injury early during Thursday's practice. After receiving treatment, Casillas was seen with a walking boot on his left foot.  

""J.C. in inside drills got planted and a guy came down on him,"" Bielema reported during practice. ""I don't know how significant it is, but he definitely hurt his ankle a little bit. It's not serious, but we might miss him for a couple weeks.""