Entire UW team contributes, as Nittany Lions struggle offensively

Entire UW team contributes, as Nittany Lions struggle offensively: Head coach Bo Ryan hoists the net during UW's victory celebration.

The Wisconsin men's basketball team awarded its seniors with a bittersweet farewell in their final appearances at the Kohl Center. The Badgers beat the Penn State Nittany Lions in dominating fashion in a 77-41, ensuring the Badgers at least a share of the Big Ten regular season title. 

Wisconsin had another fantastic performance from its defense, as it limited Penn State to just 30 percent shooting from the field. The Nittany Lions youth and lack of size showed, as they did not attempt a free throw until four minutes into the second half. Wisconsin also took advantage of its size on the offensive end - outscoring Penn State 34-15 in the paint. 

Junior forward Marcus Landry led the Badgers with 15 points, including Wisconsin's first seven points of the game. But the seniors on Wisconsin's bench also made their presence known on a special night. 

With junior forward Jamelle Cornley out because of knee problems, Penn State lacked an offensive presence in the post. The Nittany Lions struggled to put points on the board all night long and could only muster 17 in the first half. 

Freshman guard Talor Battle was the only PSU player to score in double figures. He reached his season average of 10 points. 

Meanwhile the Badgers received contributions, from every player on their roster. 

Senior guard Tanner Bronson ended his play in Madison on a positive note. The walk-on and former Wisconsin equipment manager heard his name chanted by Badger fans all game long. He drilled a 3-pointer with about two minutes remaining to send the crowd into a frenzy and cap off an emotional night. Head coach Bo Ryan shared his happiness in Bronson's success and a special night for Wisconsin's seniors. 

For Tanner, I couldn't be happier and I know that these guys were too,"" Ryan said. ""It's a great feeling to see this group come together the way they did. Everybody's trying to win and guys like Tanner Bronson bring so much to what everybody else also offers up. To have it all culminate in senior night - to clinch at least a piece of the Big Ten championship, it's just sweet. I'm so happy for them."" 

Following the game, Wisconsin fans stormed the court to celebrate the Badgers' third regular season Big Ten Championship under head coach Bo Ryan, their first since 2003. Big Ten Deputy Commissioner Brad Raviola awarded Wisconsin its trophy and UW Athletic Director Barry Alvarez commended the Badgers for their great performance. 

""Winning is good for the soul,"" Alvarez said. ""I can't say enough about this group - they've played tremendous team basketball the whole year. I especially want to thank a great group of seniors and what and they bring to this team."" 

On Saturday, the Badgers visit Welsh-Ryan Arena for their final regular season game against Northwestern. With a win, Wisconsin clinches sole possession of the Big Ten regular season title.