As Big Ten play winds down, teams maneuver for position

flowers: Senior guard Michael Flowers played very well against Michigan State, shutting down premiere guard Drew Neitzel.

Player of the Week: Michael Flowers 

While senior forward Brian Butch led the way against Michigan State with 16 points on 5-of-10 shooting, including four 3-pointers, no one played with more heart and hustle in the 57-42 win than Flowers. He held preseason Big Ten Player of the Year Drew Neitzel to just three points on 1-of-10 shooting and provided the offense at the right time. The senior guard scored all nine of his points during a 12 minute UW drought where no one else scored for the Badgers. 

This year, he's in the driver's seat,"" head coach Bo Ryan said about Flowers Monday. ""He's just doing so many things to help this team win because I still have yet to see the day that Mike comes to practice, the hill, weightlifting, any where he doesn't just go all out. I've never seen him not do that."" 

While everyone was amazed by the defensive performance against Neitzel, MSU head coach Tom Izzo said Flowers is a much better offensive player this season. 

""I think he's a much better 3-point shooter,"" Izzo said. ""I think a year ago we used to sag off him and tell him to shoot. I think Flowers has really improved his game and he brings the tenacity defensively."" 

On Deck: Penn State, at Northwestern 

It's a crucial week against two teams UW has already beaten this season and if the Badgers go 2-0, they are guaranteed the Big Ten title.  

Wisconsin crushed Penn State 80-55 in Happy Valley Jan. 15 - at one point leading the Nittany Lions by as many as 31 points. The score was not the biggest problem for Penn State (6-10 Big Ten, 14-14 overall), however, as it lost its leading scorer, senior Geary Claxton, for the season with a knee injury in the game. It was a season-changer for Ed DeChellis' squad, which came into that contest 10-5 overall and 2-1 in conference play. 

""To their credit, they changed some things they were doing offensively,"" Ryan said about Penn State. ""When you're missing somebody like [Claxton], it does affect what you're doing, but you have some strengths."" 

Wisconsin finishes the regular season Saturday at Northwestern (1-15, 8-19), where it's likely there will be more Badgers fans in the crowd than Wildcats fans with a Big Ten Championship possibly on the line. 

Game of the Week: Michigan State at Ohio State, Sun. 11 a.m. Big Ten Network 

There aren't many headliners this week, but this game could be big for both teams. The Spartans need a win to break their struggles away from the Breslin Center going into postseason play and the Buckeyes need a resume win to help their argument for an NCAA Tournament berth. 

It's likely Ohio State will need more than this win, but topping the Spartans would at least give it some much needed momentum and depending on how Minnesota fares this week, it could save the Buckeyes from having to play on Thursday in the Big Ten Tournament.