Report says same-day registration harms Wisconsin elections

A Tuesday report said mandating the use of government-issued photo identification and ending same-day voter registration could solve most problems with Wisconsin elections. 

However, election officials dispute portions of the report, issued by the Special Investigations Unit of the Milwaukee Police Department. The report dealt with the 2004 presidential election in Milwaukee. 

The report said ending same-day registration would help officials make sure voters are eligible before an election. A government issued photo ID is also needed to stop voter fraud, according to the report. 

Neil Albrecht, assistant director for the city of Milwaukee Elections Commission, said he did not endorse ending same-day registration or government IDs.  

Albrecht said the Milwaukee Elections Commission was not in favor of the reports recommendations because they could marginalize"" voters. 

He said the Feb. 19 primary was largely problem-free, and some of the busiest polling areas for same-day registration were college campuses and poorer areas of the city. 

Around 35,000 people registered at the polls on the day of the primary, Albrecht said. 

The 2004 election, according to Albrecht, had several voter problems in Milwaukee, but it should not serve as an example of how elections are usually conducted in the state. 

State Rep. Suzanne Jeskewitz, R-Menomonee Falls, authored a bill ending same-day registration. She said Assembly Bill 158 would not hurt Wisconsin students, and students were not disenfranchised in states without same-day registration. 

Jeskewitz said the Democrat-controlled state Senate would likely not vote on her bill. 

State Rep. Jeff Stone, R-Greendale, has authored a constitutional amendment to create government IDs for elections.  

The amendment is also unlikely to be voted on in the Senate, according to Stone. 

""[It] is a travesty when you look at the problems we're having in the state,"" Stone said.