Conference Title up for grabs

I have never played for a team that won a conference title. That is one dream many ball players have, but few are able to actually accomplish. 

The last time the Wisconsin men's basketball team won a Big Ten Championship was in the 2002-'03 season. Since then, Wisconsin has been a runner-up in three of the four seasons. The Badgers are just a few games away from finishing at the top of the Big Ten this season, but all four of the remaining games will be challenging. 

Indiana is among the top contenders, but is struggling with the absence of head coach Kelvin Sampson. The NCAA charged Sampson with five major rule violations and he was released from Indiana's coaching staff late last week.  

The Hoosiers not only have to worry about winning under the direction of a new coach, but they also have to try to regain that prestigious reputation they once possessed.  

Seriously, I am sick of hearing about coaches who give in to their urge to cheat. After all, aren't coaches supposed to be role models for the athletes? Following the rule book should come first. 

The Hoosiers can expect to have a rough time winning their next four games with the fourth, fifth and sixth-ranked teams in the Big Ten lined up.  

The easiest"" game for them will be against Penn State, their final game of the conference season. 

Purdue is also sitting atop of the conference standings, but after a devastating loss to Indiana last week, the Boilermakers need to pull themselves back together for their last few games of conference play. Purdue was the only team to defeat the Badgers during conference play this season, and they did it twice.  

The Boilermakers have an ""easier"" schedule than Indiana remaining, including a game against Northwestern, a team that has yet to pick up a win in conference play this season. 

Bo Ryan's Badgers will be facing both Northwestern and Penn State in the games that are left, along with Michigan State. The Spartans lost three of their last six games, so they are hungry for a strong finish to the season. Luckily for Wisconsin, Michigan State has to force an upset on the Badgers' home court. The Badgers have only two losses at home this season, and only one of them was a conference game. 

Michigan State and Ohio State may not be in the top three right now, but they both have had strong seasons. Ohio State had a strong performance against Wisconsin Sunday but fell short, so it will be looking to pull down either Purdue or Michigan State down the home stretch. 

There are still five teams that have a shot at the Big Ten conference title, but which team will be the one to win the crown? 

Crazy things can happen near the end of a season. Star players can get hurt. Players may forget what it means to work as a team. Teams that struggled in the beginning of the season may be overlooked, allowing them to upset a top contender. 

The truth is, jobs are on the line for coaches, playing time is on the line for players and tournament spots are on the line for teams. No matter what a team's situation is right now, this is college basketball and anything can happen, especially when the stakes are high. 

If you won a conference title during your athletic career and want to tell Crystal how exciting it was, send her an e-mail at crowns@wisc.edu.