Beer and chocolate raise money for cancer

The Breast Cancer Recovery Foundation is providing the public an opportunity to sample a variety of beers and chocolate in a fundraiser Sunday at Dexter's Pub in Madison. 

This is a fun, relaxed afternoon and we encourage everyone to attend and enjoy beer and chocolate,"" said BCRF Executive Director Sue Abitz in a statement. 

Dexter's, formerly known as The Sandlot, will provide samples of beer from more than 15 local breweries from noon to 4 p.m. A $15 donation is required at the door and all proceeds will go to the BCRF. Guests must be 21 or older to attend.Commemorative glasses will be given to the first 125 attendees.  

Guests are also encouraged to take in a chocolate baking competition where a group of celebrity judges will give awards to the best-tasting dishes.  

Wonder Pub is co-sponsoring the fundraiser with Dexter's and will have beer samplings from additional local breweries including Capital Brewery, Lake Louie Brewery, Grumpy Troll, Ale Asylum, Bell's Brewery and the Great Dane.  

Kirby Nelson, brewmaster at Capital Brewery in Middleton, said charity events are usually very successful for organizations and breweries alike.  

Wonder's Pub hosted a similar event in 2007 raised over $3,000 for the BCRF.  

Ann Haney, who also created Infinite Boundaries, a four-day wellness retreat for women in recovery, founded the BCRF in 1997.