Wisconsin-Michigan Head-to-Head Comparison

Wisconsin Offense vs. Michigan Defense 

All those who watched the Ohio State game last week and believed the rushing game was non-existent were correct. Wisconsin came off its first game without sophomore running backs P.J. Hill and Lance Smith, and still almost managed to pull off a victory against the No. 1 ranked defense of Ohio State with only 12 total rushing yards. Getting those two players back this week should be huge for the Badgers, since they are going to be facing one of the nation's best defenses in Michigan. Expect big days from the rushing offense of Wisconsin, since it was evident the skills of Hill and Smith were missed when Tyler Donovan had to take reigns of the offense late in the Ohio State game. Do not expect the Michigan defense to be any easy obstacle, as they are ranked in the top 20 nationally and are led by the play of All-American senior linebacker Shawn Crable. This matchup should be very evenly matched and make for an entertaining game. 

Advantage: Wisconsin 

Wisconsin Defense vs. Michigan Offense 

This season has been anything but perfect for the Badgers' defense, but there have been signs of promise in the past few games. Even with last week's loss to Ohio State, the Badgers still hold the 32nd best defense in Division-I football and held the No. 1 ranked Buckeyes to only 17 points through three quarters. The rushing defense has vastly improved in the past few weeks, but don't expect a great day for the defense when Heisman candidate and senior running back Mike Hart comes into Camp Randall running behind fellow All-American senior offensive lineman Jake Long. The Wisconsin defensive line and linebacking unit will have themselves a busy day come Saturday, but this week's marquee matchup has nothing to do with the ground game. It's the matchup through the air with the play of potential future first round talents, junior wide receiver Mario Manningham against junior cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu. 

Advantage: Michigan 

Special Teams 

To keep it simple, one would rank the Wisconsin and Michigan special team units as nothing more than adequate. The kick and punt return units of both teams are nothing to brag about, considering both teams are not in the top 40 nationally in both categories. Both teams, however, have formidable kickers, as Wisconsin senior kicker Taylor Mehlhaff has converted 88 percent of his kicks this season and Michigan kicker K.C. Lopata has converted 100 percent of his. The Badgers also have senior punter Ken DeBauche, who has already been named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week for his impressive performance against Iowa. 

Advantage: Wisconsin 

Coaching 

After two losses to start the season and many questioning the security of his job, Lloyd Carr has led the Wolverines to a perfect Big Ten record and a 7-2 overall record. With a win over Wisconsin this weekend, Michigan would put itself in position for a possible Big Ten Championship matchup against No. 1 ranked Ohio State for the second time in two years. If Michigan runs the table this season, many will have to consider Lloyd Carr for National Coach of the Year. One cannot say the same about the coaching staff of Wisconsin, who made some questionable calls in the last few weeks. DeBauche attempted to run out of a punting formation due to a miscommunication early in the fourth quarter against Ohio State and failed to convert. After this, the team lost any momentum it had and gave up two more touchdowns. Wisconsin fans hope head coach Bret Bielema can bring the team back from its painful loss this past weekend and put Wisconsin back into the top 25 with a win over Michigan. 

Advantage: Michigan