Dolgner, Reineke and Simpson earn conference honors for UW

Dolgner, Reineke and Simpson earn conference honors for UW: Senior setter Jackie Simpson was named Player of the Week and All-Conference Monday.

After tallying two Big Ten wins last weekend, the Badgers received another momentum boost as they learned senior middle blocker Taylor Reineke, senior setter Jackie Simpson and sophomore outside hitter Brittney Dolgner were named to the All-Big Ten first team. It was the second career honor for Simpson and Dolgner, and the third for Reineke. 

Simpson also earned the honor of Big Ten Player of the Week. 

Senior libero Jocelyn Wack earned an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention. 

I think we're on top of our game,"" head coach Pete Waite said during his weekly press conference. ""Our senior class has been doing very well."" 

The Badgers swept their last three conference games against Ohio State, Iowa and Minnesota. They finished second overall in the Big Ten behind Penn State, who won their fifth straight conference title. 

Last weekend, junior outside hitter Morgan Salow filled in for junior Audra Jeffers, who was out with a foot injury. Waite said at 6'4' Salow's two-inch height advantage over Jeffers gave the Badgers a better block. 

""[Salow] really surprised us with her level of play and the offensive output she brought to us,"" Waite said. 

Simpson earned the third Big Ten Player of the Week award of her career. At the last three conference games she accumulated seven kills, two service aces, six blocks and 10 digs. 

""I would compare this team to the team in 2000 that made it to the final four just because of the depth they have, the physical ability on the court they have and the experience they have,"" Waite said. 

Waite praised the team's five seniors that have been starting since their freshman year. Defensive specialists Megan Mills and Amanda Berkley round out the senior class that has led the Badgers to their No. 8 ranking in the NCAA. 

For the first round of the 64-team NCAA Tournament, the Badgers will face Northern Iowa at the UW Field House Friday. If Wisconsin defeats the Panthers, they will face either Iowa State or San Diego in round two, which will also be played at home. 

""The team just plays another level up when they're here at home,"" Waite said. ""When we even slow down for two points they start clapping and cheering, and it just inspires them to just play and get the next point."" 

- uwbadgers.com contributed to this report.